Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first quilt, i'm not loving machine quilting....lol >

My first quilt, i'm not loving machine quilting....lol

My first quilt, i'm not loving machine quilting....lol

Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Hi. My name is Jacqueline, and I have never quilted before. I have been reading this thread, and laughing at myself. At a recent family reunion, we held an auction, and one item up was a quilted wall hanging/small quilt. I'd been thinking in the past of trying a quilt, and after seeing this one - up close and personal, I decided I could make one. Machine sewn, of course.

After reading how little I know, and how hard it would be, I would be CRAZY to just jump right in and try what I have in mind.

Lol....ladies, meet Crazy. I will be lurking and learning, and doing a lot of wrong things to learn before I actually make that quilt I envision...I have three years. Never let it be said I let those fearful angels down.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 AM

I also just finished my fist machine quilt and absolutely ruined a beautiful top. I took a class but also realize it will take a lot of practice before I am happy with the results. Yes, sending it out is expensve but I have decided to do just the tops and when I need a gift or a special reason then I will send it out. In the meantime some quilt shops have a 45x45" practice quilt that has different machine quilting designs on it that you can practice on by following the lines. I believe these practice quilts are about $15-20.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM

I haven't been able to FMQ either...but what I have been doing, other than SID is to trace a design onto tracing paper and pin it to an area. Then I sew on the lines right over the paper. It gives the illusion that I am better than I am, but also allows me to practice other than straight lines. Then you rip the paper off. Maybe one of these days I'll venture to try without the paper.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM

For small lapquilts i will do my self now and baby quilts and table runners but for large quilts i will pay to have then quilted on teh longarm machine as well worth every penny of it to me ..
Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 AM

I just do the tops and then send them out to be quilted!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mizlee123
I have posted a few pictures of my first quilt during the process of cutting, piecing, putting it all together, binding, etc. I am now machine quilting it, in the ditch, just for practice and to see how it looks. I'm quickly discovering that this is not my favorite thing to do and it doesn't add any beauty to my quilt. I'm seriously considering just doing the tops and then getting someone else to quilt it. Am I crazy? Is this too expensive? How many of you just do tops and then have someone else quilt it? I see Charismahs work and it always add tons of beauty to a lovingly made quilt...
I always send large quilts out to a long arm quilter. They do a GREAT job and then I can be proud when I give the quilts away.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM

I am not very good at machine quilting either. I hand quilt most things.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM

I just do not like doing SID, so I sew 1/8" or 1/4" on each side of the ditch. That I can do and I really like the effect.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM

I do not like to machine quilt one little bit. Purchased a Bernina Aurora 440 Quilters Edition. Can do fairly well with the walking foot, but using the very, very expensive Bernina Stitch Regulator is a disaster. Was told by dealer there was definitely a "learning curve" and have made many attempts. Now my dealer has gone out of business. Have been sewing for 60 years so have much experience. Before buying the Bernina I had three Singers and wish I had the Touch and Sew back. Disgusted in Texas!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Taking a basic class in FMQ is the best way to learn the do's and don'ts. My first attemt at SID was horrible and I wanted to dump the whole idea of making quilts. After the class I had the tools of knowledge to get started and haven't stopped. Most shops will even offer you a special class that you can pay for by the hour and that will be a great investment. Good Luck and don't give up!