binding tool? >

binding tool?

binding tool?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by jmabby
Too pricey for me.
Ditto!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM

I use Sharon Schamber's method to bind my quilts. Here are a couple of videos you can watch. She uses Elmer's school glue to hold the edges together. You can then sew with no pins to jab you! I've been using this method for over a year. Works really great!

http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/
Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
This is not the same tutorial I saw before. But here is a link to a Utube video showing how it is done.\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Fi5Maq5qA
This looks like bias tape to me, not binding for a quilt.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 AM

I don't mind doing binding as it gives me a change of position and I get to actually watch tv while using the ironing board in the next room from where I cut and sew.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM

Looks like a lot of quilters are buying.They're back ordered.Has anyone tried the Wonder Clips to hold binding in place while sewing?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 AM

I agree. The binding take the brunt of the wear on a quilt and I don't think single hold up as well at double.

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
The only problem I have with all these techniques is that they create a single layer binding. I always use 2 1/2 strips, fold them wrong sides together and then attach to my quilt. I did find a "foot" for the Simplicity binding machine that advertises that they make binding for quilters but it only folds the fabric in half and you have to still have to attach it to your quilt the way you always did. I have bought every attachment I could find--binding feet that attach to your machine (uses purchased single layer binding), one that attaches to the bed of your sewing machine--still makes single layer binding and the Simplicity binding machine whose regular "feet" make single layer binding. So all in all, if you use single layer strips to bind your quilts these all will work fine. I have yet to find one to do the double layer binding. If anyone knows of one that will please let me know!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Get a cardboard and cut a slot in it for free
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM

I use 2 1/2" binding, fold in half length wise. Sew on back of quilt with 1/4"; fold to right to just cover stitching line and sew close to edge. Works great and no hand stitching.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
This is not the same tutorial I saw before. But here is a link to a Utube video showing how it is done.\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Fi5Maq5qA
knew the pin thing...but just leaving the iron already down and pulling..so simple, so smart

:wink:
Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
The only problem I have with all these techniques is that they create a single layer binding. I always use 2 1/2 strips, fold them wrong sides together and then attach to my quilt. I did find a "foot" for the Simplicity binding machine that advertises that they make binding for quilters but it only folds the fabric in half and you have to still have to attach it to your quilt the way you always did. I have bought every attachment I could find--binding feet that attach to your machine (uses purchased single layer binding), one that attaches to the bed of your sewing machine--still makes single layer binding and the Simplicity binding machine whose regular "feet" make single layer binding. So all in all, if you use single layer strips to bind your quilts these all will work fine. I have yet to find one to do the double layer binding. If anyone knows of one that will please let me know!
I too prefer the double layer binding. IMHO, it holds up better.