Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Sewing Feet - Machine >

Favorite Sewing Feet - Machine

Favorite Sewing Feet - Machine

Old 06-13-2009, 07:38 PM

I have a Bernina and love the BSR...it makes stippling quick and fun. It takes a bit of practice though.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 PM

I have a Pfaff and the favorite foot is the 1/4". I use that almost all the time, and have nicked a little spot on it to indicate my scant 1/4". I did just order an SID foot today, which I am excited to get in about a week. I was going to order a free motion foot and the Marcia (one of the store's owners) told me she uses her darning foot for that. Good grief...who'd have thought I'd have so much to say about a sewing machine foot -- and be so enthusiastic about it, too! :lol:
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Ducky - do you have the 1/4 foot that has a guide? I just got it and it's awesome!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 AM

I love my H. Viking with the 10 inch throat. Just wish I could have bought the embroidery model. Wish I could afford the new machines that you can quilt blocks with and has a stipple program. but these run in the thousands.
Walking foot is a must. Stitch in the ditch foot for bindings. Free motion darning foot. 1/4 inch foot. these are all must haves.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:57 AM

someone said they like their stich in the ditch foot for bindings - how do you use that?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:03 AM

When you have sewn the binding to the front then folded it to the back and Elmered it in place, then you stitch in the ditch on the front with the foot. It really helps keep you from wandering out of the ditch.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

i love my 1/4 inch foot - it also has a slot that allows me to achieve a 1/8 seam and 1/2 inch seam.

then i love my embroidery foot that i use for free motion.

then i love my open toe foot that i use for applique.

then my cording foot which i use to couch thick threads to the quilt top.

i have a singer and a janome but i really don't have a favorite sewing machine brand i've always had success on whatever machine was in my budget.

my quilts don't sell for any more money because i purchased a fancy sewing machine.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I have a few machines. With the berninias I use all of the feet at one time or another and like them all. But, for piecing quilts the bernina #57 with the guide is the cat's meow. I do like the other quarter inch foot #37 for sewing because of all the markings on the foot, it makes it easy to know just when to stop and turn on topstitching. Of course I love the walking foot and I think it is a must for quilter's to keep that fabric moving top and bottom evenly. The open toed foot is great to see what you are doing while machine appliquing or embellishing. The teflon foot is great to glide over problem fabric too. Gee .. I am starting to sound like an ad.. Sorry.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:12 PM

I have more feet than I know what to do with. I have three Bernina machines as well as a B serger and seperate embroidery machine. I worked for more than a year for a Bernina dealer who made her bread and butter doing alterations and custom sewing. I learned to use all of the feet. I also actually took a formal class in Heirloom sewing. I made a beautiful Christening dress which I may never have a grandchild to wear. Because of that class I purchased all of the pintuck feet. They and the cording feet are fun to use.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 PM

Bernina here and love my 1/4" foot.