Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using up scraps >

Using up scraps

Using up scraps

Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 AM

head over to goodwill and buy some men's shirts for a buck a piece. you will yield a lot of fabric once you cut it up, and you will not be cheating on your diet as much. good luck
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Well I bought the bolt of white on white! And 4 yards of a border fabric...well it was pretty and I needed it, I did, otherwise I would spend to much time piecing scraps and I wanted this top done yesterday. And I got 2 yards for orders due on friday, and the new Fons and porter mag. All less than $100. By the way you girls aren't helping my addiction!
hee, hee, hee
Old 08-23-2011, 05:14 AM

I'm on a fabric diet, trying to use up my stash and my scraps. Two scrap totes full means its time to make a scrappy. Tons of pink, so I decide to do a awareness quilt. Pulled out all the pink and all the white, and white on white. Well guess what, I dont have enough white and I've none in my stash! I've got cream on cream, tan on tan, but no white and no white on white. I'm half way through peicing this 96x96 blushing beauty and now I need to go shopping. Kinda defeats the whole reason for making the quilt. Might as well just buy a whole bolt with Joanns half off. No matter how hard I try to be a good girl the universe and the powers that be have another plan....I like it!
me too!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM

I'm on a fabric diet, trying to use up my stash and my scraps. Two scrap totes full means its time to make a scrappy. Tons of pink, so I decide to do a awareness quilt. Pulled out all the pink and all the white, and white on white. Well guess what, I dont have enough white and I've none in my stash! I've got cream on cream, tan on tan, but no white and no white on white. I'm half way through peicing this 96x96 blushing beauty and now I need to go shopping. Kinda defeats the whole reason for making the quilt. Might as well just buy a whole bolt with Joanns half off. No matter how hard I try to be a good girl the universe and the powers that be have another plan....I like it!
Sounds like you must shop! Wish I could shop with you!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM

When you go on a diet you don't quit eating! You eat more wisely. I think you are still on your fabric diet.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 AM

I have promised myself not to buy more fabric (probably have enough to last for a couple of decades), but then I find something I love at a great price and it goes home with me! Some day will challenge myself to make a scrappy quilt using ONLY fabric from my stash.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Go buy the white fabric, your quilt sounds wonderfull and I'm sure it will be beautiful. I have a pretty good stash, but at times there is just one piece I need to buy to finish a quilt, either that or I have run out of neutrals. I try to buy whites, tans, beiges, etc. when they are on sale, so I have them. I haven't bought fabric in quite awhile, except for some fabric, on sale, to make a couple outfits for my granddaughter, but then Zoe's worth it.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 AM

Been there!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 AM

I'm doing a fall 45x45 using my scraps. I found a really nice border fabric to use. After making a couple of blocks I realized the scraps I had did not look good with the border. So now my so called scrappy quilt is not scrappy but all new fabric.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM

I am trying not to buy anything since I am 65 and if I lived to 150 I couldnt't use up what fabric I have. I only buy notions now. LOL