Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question from a newbie >

Question from a newbie

Question from a newbie

Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 AM

I been quilting for many of years and never starched. I guess I'm behind the times. I always presize my material so it doesn't shrink and I make sure it won't fade on the other material. What am I missing with the starching?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by auntpatty
I been quilting for many of years and never starched. I guess I'm behind the times. I always presize my material so it doesn't shrink and I make sure it won't fade on the other material. What am I missing with the starching?
I'm wondering that, too. I've never starched. Not being able to put starched fabric back with the stash for fear of bugs sounds like a pain. But having fabric shift less while cutting would be a bonus. Does it make enough of a difference that it's worth it?

Also, I hand quilt- would it make it so stiff that it would affect hand quilting?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM

I starch my fabric before I sew, (especially if I've prewashed) I starch while making the block and then when block is finished. I love how my blocks look so crisp and flat when I'm done. I love BEST PRESS, but it is expensive. I found another brand called NIAGARA, (non-aerosol spray starch). It is almost as good and much less expensive. I like to dilute it - 2/3 starch, 1 part water. It works great with no flaking on my fabric. It is a little hard to find. I buy mine at Fred Meyers.

Starch does not make your quilts stiff. Just more quiltable and enhances the beauty of your piece work....
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM

I starch my binding. It does not make it stiff.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I put my fabric in a bucket and dump in the starch mixture (half starch half water). Squeeze out the excess and throw in the dryer, iron and cut. paper stiff! no shifting or stretching.
I like the sound of this, Doyou get starch buildup in your dryer?

I used to starch a great deal when I first started quilting. Then I read that bugs are attracted to starch (as food) and will be attracted to your quilt. I've lighted up on the starch since. Having the whole peice starched as leatheflea suggests sounds like an easy way to get it deep in the fibers and not flake on the top.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 AM

I do the bucket method in starching and I find that it works well. I "line" dry the fabric. I just drape it over a dowel rod system like for sweaters and such. as for not able to put it back in the stash. I do it. but then again it doesn't hang around my house for long. I am either shipping scraps out or using it all up myself for various projects.
I have done quilts without starch when I first started quilting and I have done them with starch since getting on here and let me tell you, there is a huge difference in my quilts.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM

before cutting , that way i get crisp fabric and i think it is easier and more accurate cutting pieces
Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 AM

I've never starched before either. I just make things work and wouldn't hand quilting be a lot harder if you starch?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM

I don't use starch, I am bug phobic, so I use spray sizing. I use it before, during, and after piecing. I have very few corner match problems if I cut well. My LAQ says I did a nice pressing job on the one I sent her, if that helps any.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the new info everyone and yes i do starch sometimes as i find it stops the fraying ...