Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Whole-cloth quilt kinda "done"... >

Whole-cloth quilt kinda "done"...

Whole-cloth quilt kinda "done"...

Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Your quilt is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. It is a master piece.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 AM

WOW! That is stunning.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 AM
EC

Just beautiful!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 AM

I've been watching your posts about this quilt for a while. I think the final result is worth every minute you put into it. It's absolutely astonishing! Well done!

Don't let the dog or the cat sleep on it!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 AM

Beautiful-----how did you learn to quilt like that?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM

That is my dream quilt to do myself. Maybe when I retire I will have time to quilt a whole cloth quilt.

Please tell me how you got the area around the chain to lay down so flat. Is it more than one row of quilting.

Elliotsgreatgrandma
Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM

Wow! You do wonderful quilting.....such talent and patience. I love to hand quilt but have never attempted such a large piece. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Beautiful!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you all for your very kind comments!

A whole-cloth quilt had been on my bucket list for years but finding the pre-printed tops can be a challenge. All I can suggest is that you ask around to your LQS and see if they can get them for you or do a search online and see if you can find one, if you are interested.

Last year when we were traveling in GA, we stopped in at a quilt store and she happened to have this top/kit. Some kits have the backing included, but this one only had the top and the binding, plus the care instructions.

That was perfect for me because I wanted a printed backing. This is the backing that I used: http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...04111349421.4d

When I have bound it and washed it I will post pictures that include the back.

I will attempt to answer some of the questions here:

1) it was quilted on a Hinterberg 3-roll floor quilting frame. My rollers are 120" long to accomodate these big quilts.

2) the original size was 90 X 90, but I added a 4" swag to each side to make it hang over the sides farther...making it 90 X 98"...or thereabouts. I'll know more when I trim and bind it.

3) the top is pre-printed. The blue will wash out. I used white thread for this, but wish I had used a white to gray to black varigated instead to help the stitching show up.

4) yes...we plan to use this on our bed. :) I make quilts to be used. Both of my kids LOVE my quilts and will treasure this one when I am gone. I've already had them make "dibs" on this one! LOL

5) I didn't keep track of the hours I put into this, but I have been working on it since Nov. 7th of last year. (I write down the date that I put tops into the frame.) Be aware that during this time, I have also made 4 other quilt tops and and have machine quilted 3 of them. The fourth one is the one that will go into the frame next to be hand quilted! :) So I haven't worked on this one exclusively during that time.

6) yes...this one was completely hand quilted. I average about 8 stitches to the inch. NO...my stitches are not perfect! But once it is washed and puckers, it is no longer important! :) DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT! :D

Again...thanks for all the kind comments! Be watching in about a week or so when I have it COMPLETELY FINISHED and washed, etc. By that time you all will be sick of seeing the pictures, as I have posted pictures along the way over the last 9 months of the progress! :D
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Congratulations on a fantastic project.This looks similar to a quilt my grandmother and great grandmother completed together in the 30's. My mother has it now in her cedar chest. She is very protective of it so I don't have it! Maybe someday...