Manners?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Yes. Absolutely.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Yes. Absolutely.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM

I always say thank you when someone opens a door for me. I also try hard to teach my two year old manners...and she is surprisingly good for a two year old. It's not just youth these days with no manners. Walking into the Doc's office the other day carrying my newborn in her carrier...the man in front of me opened the door for himself and his son and then let it close on me...hitting the carrier that my daughter was in! I loudly...but politely...said THANK YOU!! (He didn't even acknowledge me.)
I agree though...good manners can be seen in the majority of people I encounter in a day. It is the odd person who lacks decency that sticks in your head though.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!! and it drives my daughter nuts when people don't...and she never hesitates to call 'em out on their poor behavior.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
Yeah. It's an automatic response. I can't even remember my mom and dad enforcing manners... they just led by example. I feel awkward when it's a double entry and the person holds both doors for me... back-to-back thank yous... awkward. But like I said, it's automatic. :P

I also wave thank-you and you're-welcome when traffic is heavy and someone makes a space for me or I leave a space for someone else. I have a "good morning" for everyone I encounter on my daily run. I ask before joining a line to make sure I'm not cutting anyone, if it's not obvious. And I definitely don't feel as if I'm in the minority. If you look for the good manners, rather than focusing on the bad ones, you'll see there are plenty of courteous, polite people out there. Unfortunately, as humans we tend to fixate on that which annoys us. ;)
Amen! Well said.

Absolutely!

I do say thank you, as do my grown children. I have also said a sarcastic thank you to someone that just lets the door shut in my face.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Oh, yes, of course. And sometimes I notice in reflective glass that the person I've thanked looks surprised and happy!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Absolutely ! Being a southerner,born and bred, "we", me especially, were taught manners from early early on. Even with my children and then my grandchildren, please, thank you, etc. is part of life ! I used to sell real estate and had a client, and one day she asked me a question and I answered "yes, mam'", oh did that make her mad ! She said that was demeaning to her ! Even though she was much younger than me and I certainly didn't mean anything about it, other than answering her question !

Just today I responded "thank you" to a person that held the door for me and I'm certain that person didn't speak English, however, they were kind enough to hold the door for me and smiled when I said thank you.

Thank you for the opportunity for letting me vent!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I think - overall - most people are decent most of the time.