Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me. >

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 AM

Anytime!!!!!! Just drop aline anytime!!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 AM

My choice of things to do also matured a lot faster than friends of mine did. I had children when I was 21, 24 and 29. They are now 19, 16, and 12. I started quilting at a young age ~30 and my friends are all older (oldest best friend is 55).

I also think it would be a good idea to try a guild. Or if you want to further your education, try taking one college course a semester. You can go to class while your children go to school. Sign up for a class at a local library or at a YMCA.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 AM

Wish I lived closer to you, we have a guild and have people from upper 80's to several young Mom's. Its so much fun having the younger gals in the group. After they realize we all have quilting in common, we have become fast friends. They also have someone who has been through teenagers to vent to. grin. One who is younger than my kids even travels to shows with us "old gals" and is always telling the other younger women -these old granny's are a blast!!! Gotta love that girl. grin
Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 AM

Look for a quilt guild near you and go. Find some woman and make her your mentor. Doors will open for you when the older women realize you are a serious lady with children. I am an older woman and I don't care the age of anyone if they are friendly and open with me.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 AM

Brandy,
Your adorable children look like they might be old enough to be in extracurricular activities(T-ball/dance classes,etc.) Bring a hand-work sewing activity with you to work on as you sit in the bleachers,waiting room(dance or even a Dr.'s office) and watch what happens.
People are very curious, and I found that someone would always come up & ask what I was doing/making. I guess it it's like advertising what you enjoy. I have even found kindred souls that enjoy other activities (baking/decorating,etc.) & we bonded & shared something about our enthusiasims & became friends.
Good luck and remember that this is only a season in your life. You will not always be knee-deep in children.
Been there, done that. :wink:
Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 AM

My suggestion is to join a quilt guild.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 AM

Well, being in Massachusetts I don't live close to you either Brandy. but do you get the feeling this was the best place you could have asked your question? I looked at your etsy site. You make some really cute things. I'd like to encourage you to stay positive and let us know how you are doing with all this stuff you are dealing with. You are important so take care of you!! and that will help you cope with the other important parts of your life. Stay tuff!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Keep on quilting, but maybe try a night or afternoon out doing somthing else to lead to new friends and contacts - do you have a bowling alley in your area, this is usually the time of year new leagues are forming. I bowled for years, some of them were on teams that bowled in the day, others at night. Just a thought! good exercise too.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 AM

So sorry I live all the way in New England! I am a "young" 51yr old kinda in the same boat. I stay at home and most of my friends work outside the home and are on a different path than me. Hang in there!! :-)
Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 AM

I'm sorry that women your age are immature and you can't find anyone your age to talk about sewing with. I know how it feels to not have friends. My husband has been transferred several times and it is always difficult at first. I find the local guilds by typing what part of the country I'm going to live in, i.e., NE Ohio, and voila! a list comes up of guilds in the area. I contact the person associated with that guild and start attending meetings. Granted, it's not always easy to go to a meeting not knowing anyone but after a period of time you begin to make friendships with people. We moved here 3 yrs ago and I belong to 2 quilt guilds and an embroidery group. I'm retired so it is probably easier for me to belong to several groups. Maybe you can find a day guild. I hope.

Good luck!