Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me. >

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 AM

I'm in 34 and live in Monroe, MI about 70 or so miles from you to the south. I sent ya a PM if ya wanna chat or meet up to do some shopping or lunch.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 AM

Google Macomb County Quilt Guild. I have been there a few times and they are a very nice group of ladies, A very laid back guild. They meet once a month and I think it is on a Monday evening & is only about 20 - 30 minutes from New Baltimore.

Good Luck
Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM

I hope you can find some quilting friends...first thing I did when I moved 18 years ago was to check out the local quilt shops and the quild...that found me lots of friends...I have a group I have gotten together with now once a week for 17 years...we have 10 in our group. Keep looking! BTW, your kids are darling! And so nice hearing that you and your mom are best friends, that is very special
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Great friends (quilting friends) can be made by taking a quilting class or joining a quilt guild. They may be older than you, but someday you'll be that age too (JK). Even us old fogies (sp?) can be fun.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 AM

Brandy: Have you checked at either of the quilt shops in New Baltimore for groups or guilds that meet in town? I know my DH grew up in New Baltimore & is still in touch with lots of folks he graduated with from there. Very nice people; keep checking out church groups and guilds that meet in the the area. Don't get discouraged about finding other women like you. They're there, but probably like you just in their own homes doing what they enjoy! Whatever activities your kids are in use as a springboard for finding other moms like you. I don't live close by, but about an hour away. Hang in there. Getting started in a new area takes time and persistence in finding folks with similar hobbies. :-)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Well, I wish I lived nearby because you sound like a neat young lady. I love the quilts I have seen of yours and your children are so adorable. Yes, you are the age of my youngest child but think I would love visiting you and the children. I think it is just absolutely wonderful that you are a stay-a-home mom. My youngest daughter is as well. When I was a young stay at home mom, I lived out in the middle of nowhere and spent a lot of time sewing. I really do understand how lonely it can be and hope you find some nice ladies to make friends with. Good luck and until you do find that connection----we here will always be nearby to chat with you!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Honey, you get on this board whenever the kiddies are not needing you and talk to us and we will be there for you.

You sound like a good mama......and those children are beautiful.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Do you have a local community college? Some of them have no fee quilt classes.

Also check and see if you have a local sewing machine shop, possibly one that sells Janomes, Berninas etc. They would know about all the local quilting groups in your area, quilt shows etc where you could go to meet people. They might have a bulletin board that you can find info on or leave a card of your own asking for someone to call you.

Good luck, keep us posted on your adventures to finding friends to quilt with
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by scisyb220
Brandy: Have you checked at either of the quilt shops in New Baltimore for groups or guilds that meet in town? I know my DH grew up in New Baltimore & is still in touch with lots of folks he graduated with from there. Very nice people; keep checking out church groups and guilds that meet in the the area. Don't get discouraged about finding other women like you. They're there, but probably like you just in their own homes doing what they enjoy! Whatever activities your kids are in use as a springboard for finding other moms like you. I don't live close by, but about an hour away. Hang in there. Getting started in a new area takes time and persistence in finding folks with similar hobbies. :-)
I grew up in New Baltimore, went to school here from K-12 grade. Most of the people I went to school with have moved away. I have my mom right down the road so it's not so bad.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 AM

I am in your shoes also. I live in Michigan also but over near Graand Rapids. I am an "more mature" mom so the young moms pretty much snub me---don't really care about that but sure would be nice to have a true friend. I have one "friend" who calls about every 6 months when she needs something--otherwise no contact with me. My close friend has moved out east and we talk,,,but it's not the same.
Who has the time or desire to bar hop??? Not me!
I spend a lot of time on the QB and that is where I am building friendships...although not the same as going to lunch with someone or shopping for fabric. Hang in there.