how much do you tip

Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 AM

I usually tip my hairdresser 20%.....same with waitresses if a job is well done.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Wish prices for haircuts were less in this area. I end up tipping between $5 and $15 to the stylist, depending if its a cut only, or cut and color, or with highlights, etc. And, $2 tip for the shampoo girl/guy, too.

Tipping for service people, like stylists and waiters, etc., is different. Most are not paid the standard minimum wage. And, it's a good way of rewarding a job well done, and ensuring continued good service. At the holidays, I don't always give a cash tip, but I bake (quite well, I've been told), and will make breads, etc., to give away. In a hand made quilted gift bag, of course.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by linken
I have a question about tipping...why is it necessary? I worked in retail for over forty years, and there was never a tip for my customer service, even when it required heavy lifting. Isn't customer service the same no matter what business you work in, whether retail, hairdressing, restaurant, or hospitality? Everybody agrees to do their job for a specified wage, and hopefully to do their best at the job they signed on for. Do you tip the clerk who cuts your fabric? Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store? So...why your hairdresser or waitress?
most restaurant servers make $2 or $3 per hour. Their employers consider tips to be part of their income. So the waitress who is on her feet for 8 hours per shift is only going to make $24 max without tips.

edited to add: I usually tip 20% for good service. If it's outstanding service, I might tip 25%. Okay service gets a 15% tip. I also usually tip more during the holidays. I was a server during college and I remember how hard it could be sometimes.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 AM

The guy who trims my hair - I don't tip him. But I do let him sleep with me....

now you all know it is my DH...
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM

this isn't hair related but still a question on tipping.....we have a fast food drive in where you can either go in and order or they will come to your car and take your order and deliver it. are you supposed to tip and how much? I always tip a couple of dollars but see other people don't.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM

I leave 15-20%. She does and awecome job and I appreciate the hour she takes to cut my hair and this is my way of saying an extra thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM

I tip 20% and 25% if it's excellent service. When I was working my way through school, I waitressed. Back then a dollar tip was best tip you could hope for. I know they work hard and their regular salary is hardly anything. I only tip the hair and nail people and at restuarants. I do not tip people at the grocery store or my &@$ mailman.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM

I always tip the hairdresser and additional $5. No matter how much my cut was! But for the area in which we live thats pretty Good!!!

However, we r talking about haircuts! If were were talking about restaurants that would be a whole new story! Please note that your hir dresser probablly gets commission or a decent base wage depending on the shop shes with. Your waitress makes $3 - 4$ an hour. If she works an $8 hr shift thats only $24 - $32. For the whole day! She is responsbile for not only taking your order and serving your food, she also has to clean up your mess and the rest of the restaurant! There is alot of behind the scence work that goes into waitressing! 15% - 20% is customary anymore! Leaveing a dollar on the table for a $15 ticket is a slap in the face.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I know someone who just went to Penney's to have her hair cut. The tip was put on the bill. She won't be going back!!!! Your tip should be your choice, not theirs.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM

In Manitoba, Canada, we have a minimum wage of $9.50 per hour. (Each province determines what the minimum is and ups it every few years to keep up with the cost of living.) That is the minimum starting wage for everyone, no matter what kind of job market they are entering.The restaurants workers expect a tip....but retail workers neither expect or receive a tip. Yet they have the same minimum wage. Then you work at giving the best customer service you can, to earn a raise from your employer. I do give a tip, when I can afford it ,remembering that "tip" means towards improved performance. I am a senior, on limited income.