sleep apnea

Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM

I have sleep apnea myself and my husband actually suffers from Narcolepsy so we both us a CPAP machine. Use of the machine has made both of our lives much easier. It is a small inconvenience for the greater good that it provides.

We joke that should a burgler come into our bedroom they would be frightened off because he would see 2 "aliens"!!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM

I have been using a CPAP for 16 years and have had much success. The key is to find a mask that fits properly and doesn't leak. Unfortunately, I am a restless sleeper and move lots, so finding the right mask has proved difficult. There are many new and innovative masks and machines available now, so try them until you find one that's right for you. Most suppliers have rental masks that they will let you try for a week (no charge) until you find the one that suits you.

There is also a specialty dental appliance available that is supposed to stop sleep apnea by moving the bottom jaw forward. I spent $2500.00 to have one designed/made thinking it would be more comfortable and provide more freedom - it did absolutely nothing and was painful. In my opinion, you should stay with the CPAP, as recommended.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM

I have had sleep apnea and used a machine for over 10 years. I don't use a cpap though I use a bypap as I have a hard time exhaling with the cpap. I also use just the nasal pillow as I couldn't get used to the mask covering my nose and mouth. I take mine on vacation with me and even camping. We bought a Dc cord to interchange with the AC cord and it doesn't use very much power to run from the battery.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 AM

Hubby has CPAP for apnea. He sleeps better and I sleep better because I'm not laying half awake to catch him not breathing. :thumbup:
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM

I also have sleep apena (sp) Have used a cpap for about two years now. I sleep so much better now. I hang my hose over the wall lamp and it helps keep the extra hose off the bed.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM

I would look for a message board similar to this one.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM

I have used one for 15 yrs. I kid my husband and tell him that if I had to choose.......he'd be in BIG trouble! I was so severe that I never had an issue. I use the mask that covers my nose. Good luck...it's worth the effort.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 AM

I was asigned the bi-pap. I just could tolerate the mask. I am a mouth breather and had to use the full mask. I finaly was swithced to oxygen concentrator and just the hose. They insist it is saving my life--but I cannot tell it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM

My husband has one and it's such a vast improvement for him. He has a large one and a smaller one. He now justs use the smaller one (newer model and easier to travel with).
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 AM

You are giving me ideas for my next retreat!!!
I appreciate this thread because some people might be embarrassed about having to wear a machine at night and this helps bring it to light that it's really not a big deal.

Originally Posted by LyndaK
Three women at quilt retreat, all sharing a room, all with CPAP machines.......First of all, the hilarity of finding electrical outlets for all of us....We were under beds, snaking cords everywhere......Then, the next morning, we three were in the hall, in our rigs, singing Skin-A-Ma-Rinky-Dink in our jammies, while twirling our hoses......cracked up the rest of the retreaters........and we found out that several more of the ladies had their machines with them.
I've been a "hose-head" <G> for 2 years now and don't regret a minute of it. My blood pressure dropped 15 points after I started on CPAP....I was headed for a stroke........