sleep apnea

Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 PM

My Mom, Dad and husband use them. Which of course probably means that I should get tested. There are not any drawbacks that I can see. I may take some adjusting to using the machine but everyone feels better. My mom had a heart attack each year until she started using one and has not had any problems since. That certainly points toward an oxygen deficit on her part prior. The new machines are very quiet. DH started using one prior to the "new machines" and even at that I could easily imagine the sound as wind in the trees or waves on the beach and it did not bother me.

DH had some difficulty when he used just the nose mask because he would breath in through his nose and out through his mask. This manifested itself in my wild giggles in the middle of the night as he sounded so darned cute. He now uses a full face mask and gets a much better result and I am sleeping through the night (hee hee).
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM

I have heard that it is really important to find a mask that fits. So try several because if it does not fit, it won't help you. So- the other side of that is that you need a good equipment supplier.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM

I have slept with one for about 10 years. Before I got it,
my husband got very little sleep with my loud snoring, andwhen I quit breathing, waiting to see if I would start
breathing again.
My Dr. also uses one. Said the first night he used his
he felt like a new person when he woke up. Sorry to say, I
never seen a bit of change in the way I feel, but I use it
faithfully because I know it is healthier for me, and gives
my husband some sleep and peace of mind.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM

I was diagnosed three years ago, its so bad drs. said he surprised i'm still alive. I was just shy of getting an oxygen tank, i had never heard of sleep apnea, i fell asleep driving my car with my grandson in the car, i pulled over and cried hysterically for an hour, if he hadn't nudged me we both would have been killed, i was headed straight toward a median going sixty miles an hour. After that i wouldn't drive till i found out what was wrong, and even then it took me about six months, today, i don't sleep without the c-pap and i don't go anywhere without it, even the hospital. It helps so much, please, make sure you do this for yourself. Good Luck
Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 PM

I use the C-pap & have oxygen added - no problem getting use to it. I use nasal pillows instead of a mask. These I believe were made esp. for women. I was upset with the fact that I needed one but many, many people use them. Try it, you'll like it !
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM

I've used one for 9 yrs, and couldn't get along without it.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 PM

I recall seeing a TV program (maybe 20-20 or 60 Minutes?) that featured a new procedure to remove the redundant tissue in the mouth or throat that blocks the airway during sleep and causes sleep apnea in most people. You may want to ask your medical provider about this. I'm sorry I don't remember specific details to give to you.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM

my dh uses one. He fought it at first but now he says he can' t sleep without it.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 PM

I use CPAP. I use the nose peice called pillows. I have very sensative skin and couldn't handle either the small or the full face mask. If I fall asleep without it, I really notice the difference the next day.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by margie77072
I also have sleep apnea and find that while the mask and hose is a pain in the butt, my days are better when I use it. Downside is dry mouth and no reading in bed (unless I read without my glasses...lol).
Shoot, I just read till i know i'm going to go to sleep pull the mask on, turn the machine on and turn the light out! no problems, try it,

;)