how much do you tip

Old 08-26-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
I guess I must be cheap, because I don't leave a tip. I figure they are charging enough for the service that I shouldn't have to give more. Is this just me?
No, it is not. I'll leave a tip but not 10 and 15%. I was a hairdresser and I got 50% commission. They make pretty good money.
It's the servers in restaurants that I leave 15 to 20%. Remember how little they make from an hourly wage? I think tipping has gotten out of hand.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:47 AM

I was a hairdresser for many years. TIPS are important.I quit doing hair about 15 years ago.MANY STATES assume a minuium and want taxes paid on them.10% was the going rate back then, but just like waitresses, its 10-20%, 15avg..People who just get haircuts, do not see the same hairdresser, week after week,as people depended on us in the past.With all that said-We were a inexpensive shop(cuts6,colors17,perms20&up)My 3 fav customers.-- a combout(curls)$6 & a$10 tip!, A recluse that came on Mondays, our slow day. If it was busy I got a gereous tip, if it was DEAD I got a remarkable one! ex.$17color-a $20.00 tip(if I finished before her taxi got there& dropped her off more tip$$$.I also did a judges mom. Every session started w/inquiries of my husband(the MR)and other pleasantries. Regardless of what she had donehair set to a $25perm, my tip was always from change, usually 16 to 28 CENTS! I didn't care, she cared about me &was alwaysjust nice.She really didn't have a clue how to tip!OH--some perfer men because they usually overtip!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 AM

I can't stand the whole idea of tipping, why can't everyone get a decent wage and be expected to do a good job for it?

I was on a cruise once (only once) and at the end they gave the tipping lecture. I thought to myself, why is it that only the workers from third world countries are in the jobs where they depend on tips? All the cruise workers from US/England/Australia were in jobs where they got decent wages and weren't asking for tips.

If I ever go on another cruise it will be on a "No tipping" cruise line.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I know someone who just went to Penney's to have her hair cut. The tip was put on the bill. She won't be going back!!!! Your tip should be your choice, not theirs.
I agree that a tip should be YOUR option. It just frosts my cookies that anybody automatically adds a tip to your bill.
I get my hair done once a week, so my hairdresser is making a steady income from my business, but I do take her baked goodies frequently and always do something nice for her at Christmas.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 AM

20% is standard now for good service
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 AM

I always tip 20% regardless of the type of service as long as I am please with the service performed. Otherwise I tip whatever amount I feel is appropriate for the service rendered.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by linken
I have a question about tipping...why is it necessary? I worked in retail for over forty years, and there was never a tip for my customer service, even when it required heavy lifting. Isn't customer service the same no matter what business you work in, whether retail, hairdressing, restaurant, or hospitality? Everybody agrees to do their job for a specified wage, and hopefully to do their best at the job they signed on for. Do you tip the clerk who cuts your fabric? Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store? So...why your hairdresser or waitress?
I was a cashier for years and worked in fast food for a year and never received a tip and there were times I could have really used it but I received minimum wage so that was fair. I don't know how much waitress make in most areas but our local waitresses make $2.35 an hour. I wish I could put that in bold and highlight it $2.35 an hour. So when I go to a restaurant I tip the waitress but as far as the clerk, the cashier, the butcher, the hairdresser,......... I don't. I mean where does it stop. How do you choose who is worthy and who you just overlook.

Angie
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 AM

I always leave 20% unless the service was super crummy. I cut my own hair so no problem there. I do pamper myself and have acrylic nails and I give my lady $5 to $6 each time I have them done and that is just a little over 20% of the cost. I've been going to her for six years and so I also give her little gifts at Christmas and her birthday.

My niece waited tables while she went to school. I for one could not be a waitress because I'd screw up so bad I'd get fired in a half hour. A good waiter works hard and the money is really crummy so tips really count. When a person is kind and caring I figure they deserve to get as good a tip as I can afford.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Like some of the others on here, I don't understand the concept of all the tipping that everyone thinks must be done. I worked in office settings and on some jobs didn't make even minimum wage, but did I receive any tips for the good service I gave. Absolutely not! Then I have had good paying jobs where I worked my buns off to give good customer service for the company and again any tips, NO, I was being paid a salary why should I expect tips. The good customer service was considered part of the job!

Everyone thinks everyone should be tipped for a sneeze in my book, like the mailman for example. He is hired to do a job and is expected to perform accordingly, why does anyone think they need to give him an additional tip. Not singling out mailpeople, but just using that as an example, there are a lot of other jobs that this applies to as well.

I think several have expressed some extra good points on not tipping and the size of the tips. Sometimes I think people leave a generous tip, because they think it makes them look flush with money and more important rather than for the good service.

Yes, I tip, for good service to a reasonable amount, but am not overly generous to the point of showing off. When you are tipping the waitress or waiter in the restaurant you are really subsidizing the restaurant owner and helping him get by more cheaply by not having to pay his share of their salary. And if the owner reported ten or 15 percent tips to the government when I didn't make that much I would be upset and be having a talk with that employer about reporting false income. Tips should be counted and reported accordingly in my thoughts. I probably wouldn't have a job, but the government gets enough of my money without paying them for income I didn't get.

At some of the prices for haircuts, shampoos etc., I couldn't afford to get it cut or shampooed much less leave a tip. I guess we live in a very economical area.

I feel tipping is a reward for extra good service and should not be expected. If a server was rude to me because I didn't tip 20 to 25 percent, I would ask him for the tip back and tell him/her with their attitude they didn't deserve anything! I'm sorry, but I think one needs to earn a tip for good service, it should not be expected. In a restaurant where I have received extremely poor service and a bad attitude, I have left one penny on the table. Was I cheap? Some would say yes, but I was making a point to her that what she did wasn't worth a tip period for what she did and hopefully she might get the message and improve! Then on the other hand when I have had exceptional service I have been very generous too.

Maybe I should not eat out or go to the hairdresser or anyplace else that expects tipping huh? Then everyone suffers from loss of business, is that good? Then we all lose in the end too.

Like others I think tipping has gotten out of hand and people expect a handout for no good reason even. I don't mind rewarding for above and beyond what one is hired to do, but don't tell me I am obligated for no good reason.

Just my two cents worth today whether it is right or wrong it is my opinion.

themachinelady
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 AM

I pay $17 for my cut, then tell the girl to keep the other $3 = $20.