Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 AM

I'm in Connecticut and right in the path of the eye (15 miles from New Haven). Doing the same thing as gal288 - preparations as best we can including battening down everything, candles, flashlights, bottled water...and lots of applique and quilt work for when we lose power (as I beleive we will - I went through 3 hurricanes on Long Island, none pretty).I just hope we don't lose any trees!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
My prayers are with you and for all the people on the East Coast who will feel the impact of the storm. Take care of yourself and each other. froggyintexas
Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone that's in the path of this storm. Be safe and let us know when you can that you're alright.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM

I have never seen or been through a hurricane. Keep safe, dry and I'll been praying for everybody to be safe. Hang in there.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
We live in Long Beach, NY which is a barrier beach island (sandbar) that is 7/10 of a mile wide at the widest point. At the moment it looks like we are going to take a direct hit. The city's emergency phone system called last night to advise us to begin to make evacuation plans while the television showed the county executive saying that mandatory evacuation is likely.

I am planning to take my computer and two of my machines with me as well as a project to sew by hand (haha) We are going to my sister's house and I'm sure she will not be extremely happy about all the extra stuff.

I am moving the best of my stash to the second floor which may or may not be a good idea depending on whether or not th roof blows off. . I have no illusions about our house being here when we return if we do, indeed, experience a direct hit. We live in a little cottage built in 1922.

I am, at the moment, feeling a little ill with nerves. Might not be a bad idea to zip over to my doctor to see if I can get a script for some xanax!

It will be what it will be. It's all in God's hands now.
Try to relax a bit if you can ... deep breathe. A hurricane is rated not only by the wind speed and barometric pressure but also by the damage it leaves. If it comes in as a category 1 the damage is not catastrophic... storm surge may be difficult but you can easily look this up online. If you move inland away from the shore you should be fine... listen to your local officials, do what is suggested and then relax with your quilting.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM

I am a Hurricane Katrina survivor. My thought to add to all the ones I read:
DO NOT BURN CANDLES - no one will put out your fire.

DO NOT OPEN A WINDOW - KEEP HOUSE TIGHTLY SHUT. Models were shown to us using both ways. House with one window slightly open blew away.

Get a clothes line and clothes pins to hang up your wet towels.

Keep small bills of cash on hand. Nothing larger than a $20. If you need to buy something you may end up paying $20 for a bag of ice. No change.

Keep things to barter with - beer and cigarettes will do wonders in getting young men to help you.

Rolling ice chests come in handy. You do not know where you may have to walk to obtain ice later.

You will need lots of insect repellent. Your windows will be open and bugs will get to you. I can still hear the mosquitoes buzzing in my ear at night while trying to sleep.

My prayers go out to all of you. God bless you.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Good luck---lived in Orlando when Charley hit and out of power for 13 days! Make sure you are ready!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
My brother can't leave because of his job so I am staying too. I can't drive too far by myself and even if I need to go to a shelter I can't since they won't let animals in and my Andy isn't going anywhere so neither am I. We are as ready as we are going to be for this mess. We will have water in the tubs, We have filters that can filter sewage to drinkable water, we have food and the dog has food . I have meds. We have soup and I am cooking food today and tomorrow. We have a grill with propane and plenty of flashlights and candles. I have books and a quilt that needs hand quilting. I am going to fill some small grocery bags with ice from the ice maker. If we are without power for more than a day or two I will just make a trip to GA and stay with friends until everything works out. :-) Other than that not a whole lot I can do about a hurricane. Except keep visualizing it going out and away from the coast. LOL Good luck to everyone in the path I sure hope it isn't bad.
Of course, DO NOT GRILL any food INSIDE... the carbon monoxide will kill you... wait to use your grill for after the storm passes... if you use a generator also place it outside (not in garage) and NOT near a window (same reason as grill)... someone dies every hurricane from misuse of a grill or generator. Thinking of all you folks on the east coast... prepare and you will be fine... lots of Pb & Jelly... after prepared just relax and watch nature in all its wonder.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Live 5 1/2 blocks from the beach and they are asking for volunteer evacuation........but looking out the window right now, one wouldn't believe that there is a storm coming.

Beaches are open today but notices have been sent out that the offices, beaches and pools will be closed both Saturday and Sunday......hopefully, God willing, all will be back open on Monday.

My fright is a very large, and I do mean VERY large tree about 10' in front of my home....

Thank you for all the prayers for a calm in the progress of Irene..who knows, she just may turn around and go out to sea.
I am sure you are going to evacuate... you may loose the tree but you can plant another... you just dont want to be there when the tree falls down or the water comes in... will be thinking of you. peace and safety.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Not looking for to this at all!
getting ready to go outside and get all the thing for outside picked up.... figure out what might fly away..
then need to get out to the store and pick up some batteries for the radio....
i hope all this prep is for nothing...... (well at least its a nice thought....