how much do you tip

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM

I think they deserve atleast 2-3.00 for a 15.00 hair cut. Men leave 5.00 because the girls usually flirt with them, I'm not saying they all do But I've seen it happen. I've also been known to leave 5.00 if they flirt with me. LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 AM

$2.00 for a haircut, $5.00 for a perm.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 AM

my daughter and son in law both work in "service industries"--she's a beautician, he's a busser and go-fer at a huge pub downtown (five serving areas). neither gets paid a living wage, as such. they depend on tips to make it, week to week. so, i've gone to tipping 20-25% across the board, unless the service really stinks, or they have erred in a big way. (interesting that in new zealand, it is considered an insult to leave a tip in an eating establishment-- "after all, we pay our workers a good wage. they don't require extra.")
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Knowing men he was just trying to impress the barber,IMO LOL.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM

I'm another one who doesn't like tipping, but I understand that some people's pay is based on it. I either tip for good service or I don't tip at all, meaning I don't short-tip for mediocre or bad service.

I'm still tipping 15% for good service. 20% may be the standard now in some areas, but IMO that's a lot. I know the system isn't fair. They should be paid a decent wage. It might mean businesses would charge more to cover that, but maybe not. If they charge too much, people will vote with their pocketbooks and just not buy from them.

One area I deal with a lot is hotel tipping. I tip housekeeping for a good job, but that does mean for cleaning (vacuuming and actually washing the tub), not just for making a bed. I tip more for sensitivity to my needs. So if I moved the Kleenex and wastebasket to my bedside table and they empty the wastebasket and leave it there, that gets more tip than if they move both things back to the bathroom.

I don't tip hotel maintenance for fixing something it's the hotel's responsibility to maintain, such as keeping the a/c working. Once I asked to have the air vents cleaned because they were literally spewing bits of black stuff onto the bed. The guy did a thorough job on the vents, then vacuumed the floor by the vent and brought new bedding. Him I was going to tip, but he said maintenance guys were some of the best-paid staff in the hotel and shouldn't be tipped at all. I ended up writing a letter to the management about his excellent service instead. OTOH, I've had others come up to check the a/c fan, be unable to fix it, and still expect a tip for coming at all. Not happening. At that point, I expect a new room or a free night for no fan.

I don't tip front desk people normally, and I try to keep requests from becoming a "tipping opportunity." So if I need an extra roll of toilet paper, I'll go down to the desk to get it and ignore offers to deliver it to my room. Am I cheap? Hotels cost a lot, and I'm not about to pay more than the toilet paper costs just for them to walk it over to me. And really, am I expected to tip when I ask for directions? It seems some hotels expect that.

One area where I probably am cheap is valet parking. If I choose to use it, I'll tip. If it's required to have my car valet parked, no tip, because I'm having to comply with hotel or restaurant rules. I don't like other people parking my car and only rarely would ever choose to do it, so I'm sure not going to tip for something I don't want to do.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I've always heard if it is the owner, you don't tip.....but you do tip 15% otherwise.....I was surprised to discover one tips the beautician.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
I usually cut my own hair but several times yearly I have it cut at a beauty salon. I leave a tip of $2 for a cut and $5 for a perm. When I had mine cut yesterday, I left the $2 but noticed that the man paying his bill for a haircut left $5.00. Just wondering what you leave. Am I too cheap? I realize different areas of the country leave different amts also.
Was she a cute stylist? Maybe he was trying to impress her...LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM

Living in a metropolitan area, our prices are naturally higher. My haircuts are $55 and I ALWAYS tip 20%.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by almostfree
I pay $17 for my cut, then tell the girl to keep the other $3 = $20.
What an interesting thread this was. It seems from what I've read that the rates for service vary widely throughout the States. In CA our prices for hair dressers and hair cuts are more than in some states, 45 for a haircut in the San Francisco area is cheap, but when a friend visited from England she thought it "rather dear". Guess it depend on the area like anything else. But everyone tips or everyone I know, at least.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM

I pay $40 for a haircut, so if she did good, I tell her she did great and give her $10. Sometimes, she doesn't do as good, so I know I will be getting it cut sooner and I only give her $5.