Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have to backtrack and also apologize :? >

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM

When I had DA I used dish washing liquid and poured it on any place where the ants were entering the house, especially the window sills and across the door sills. Worked wonders. Seems like the little buggers were gone overnight. Read this in Prevention Magazine years ago. And no harmful fumes, sprays etc. Oh, I did track the DA's back to their entrances first.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 PM

Maybe it would help to put Boraxo around the trash can and under the refrigerator. I use it in the garden area on the hills cause the ones here like to feast on plant roots.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:20 PM

[quote=Jan in VA]On August 18th I posted the following: "There should be support groups for women who can't put their dishes in the dishwasher dirty." http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-146133-1.htm

Well, wouldn't you know it, I have had to either eat my words -- which I still fervently espouse -- or eat the DA (Damn Ants!) that are invading my house! It's been hot and often dry in my part of VA this year and the ant problem has been the worst ever.

My lovely new home is planted right in the middle of what used to be a cherry orchard. Let me tell you from ants!

All sugars go in Tupperware or the equivalent, rinse all trash that has food clinging, and I put Boric acid (a powder) under all the appliances, and along the back of all lower cupboards. The Boric acid is toxic, be careful, but it was what finally ended my invasion of DA! I pray for all who must suffer DA!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM

We had a bad ant problem 2 years ago and found out they were living in our apple tree which we had to cut down. Problem solved - I did plant another tree(cherry.) Also, found out using cinnamon around the windows and doors worked pretty good. For some reason they would not travel over it . Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 PM

AMEN!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM

we had ants so bad one year that they were biting us in bed while we slept, in the furniture and the carpet. We called an esterminater and they come every 2 months. They said that they were actulally in the walls. He drilled some holes in the wall(never could see those holes) and put their magic in there . No more ants (knock on wood. This is some of the best money I have ever spent. I hate bugs in my house and I don't care if they were here first.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM

Ants cant swim, so I sucked them up into my rainbow vacuum, 3 nights in a row, Then I put a packet of equal out for them to enjoy and haven't seen them since. a friend told me equal was originally intended as an ant killer. I think she may be right!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Have you tried the mixture of:

1 part sugar
1 part corn meal
2 parts boric acid powder

Mix together and store in jar.
Put a small amount in a soda bottle cap and place in an area near their nest if you know where it is, but out of the way of any of your pets.

My mother would put it in cabinets, the pantry and even the window sill where it seemed they gained entry.

I know - I can hear the concerns regarding the boric acid powder, and as long as it's used carefully regarding pets and little people, we've never had a problem. It also works great on roaches...and Mom lived in Hawaii!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Have you ever heard of Torro Ant Killer? It works wonders, you put some on cardboard and you will see ants all over it it, but it makes them disappear. You put it where ever you think the ants are coming in, like a window sill or what ever. Problem is, it is extremly poisonous. If you have any house pets or small children then I am not sure I would recommend it.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
We use Home Defence Max around the outside of the house and inside. We start spraying in the spring right after the snow melts and reapply outside after every major rain.
us too.... no ants... did have a fight with the mega spiders for a few days.... ewwww!!!!!