Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Pfaff Grand Quilter >

Pfaff Grand Quilter

Pfaff Grand Quilter

Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM

thanks for all the suggestions, will try them all one at a time and see what works. it is so much fun to use when it is working and I was so excited to quilt this big quilt today but now am taking a break until morning when I am fresh and not frustrated. keep the ideas coming, hopefully one or some of them will work. I know people love this machine when it works for them.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM

Hi Ann, I was excited to hear from you as I am of Irish descent and visited there in 2008 and can't wait to go back.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Possible suggestions:
Try rethreading the machine and bobbin. Clean with each bobbin or so. I've had lint build up under the plate and cause problems too.
Maybe different thread or larger needle, a top stitch needle works well-larger eye and stronger needle.
Machine need oiled often, I oil it every 2-3 bobbin changes.
How much tension on the quilt, should be able to grab the quilt on top, if you poke finger up from underneath.
Once take-up bar get fuller, raise it up so at least finger thickness between roll and bed of the machine.
Are you using a stitch regulator? If not try to keep and even speed.
Good luck, hope something helps. Sometimes it works after I walk away for a while, maybe we both just need a rest!!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM

I tried going slower and slowed down so much that I couldn't really free motion anymore, so thanks for that tip. I will try each one that I read and hopefully something will click. I will keep trying but it sure gets frustrating.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks, haven't tried oiling it, so that will be first thing in the morning and see if that does it.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM

Hi. Welcome. Check to make sure there is no small lint or thread under your bobbin. Clean out the case and thread it again. That might help.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 PM

I had a PFAFF grand quilter, where is your thread breaking? If it is at the needle, make sure the needle is inserted correctly. Try another needle. Could be the tension is to tight or the quilt is stretched to tight. Is the backing stretched to tight? If the thread is breaking above the tension guide - is there a rough or sharp spot in the thread guides. Are you using the same thread as you used in the other quilt and same bobbin thread. Does you thread pull easy after the machine is threaded?

I know it is so frustration - been there done that - didn't like it. Let me know if you get it figured out.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Hi and welcome from NE Ohio.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Another thought - is your thread feeding off your spool evenly - is it catching - do you need to use a net on your spool of thread. After the machine is threading pull on the thread and watch it feed from the spool - is it tugging - is the tension even at all times.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have a Baby Lock that does that occasionally. I open it up and usually find tons of lint inside. I also will loosen the tension a little. Check the top of the bobbin carrier for a burr...a little rough spot. Check the tension on your bobbin carrier as well. Sometimes over time it can work tighter or looser.

There are lots of things that can cause it. What weight thread are you using? I have to use better quality thread that will withstand the high speed of the quilting machine. I just had to change thread on a quilt I just finished...the quilting thread I started with wouldn't stay together...it kept breaking. I changed to heavier YLI thread and it worked fine..not one breakage.
And maybe loosen the tension (rollers and clamps) on the quilt.