Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM

This afternoon we rode past one home that was boarded up.and on the one board was written.....

Good Night, Irene........

I have been humming the song ever since......how many of you seniors remember that ditty???????
Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 PM

I heard on the news tonight that over 80 people from our electric company are now heading out for New York. I am sure other energy companies will be sending electricians your way also. I pray that this will also give you comfort & hope.
I am also praying for all of you on the East Coast who are in danger of being effected by the storm. I pray you and your families as well as your property will be safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM

I hope you will all be ok on the East Coast. It is tough to have no power. Had a rare wind storm here and borrowed a generator to keep the fridge working (we also played old Nintendo so we wouldn't die of boredome)
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM

I wish all along the east coast well, we will put you in our prayers. fron Central Oregon, stay safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I wish I would have been busy quilting and getting ready for a power outage, but had to pick up prescriptions for my pain meds, can't be without that, especially since the humidity and rain make my arthritis really flare up. Hubby spent the night in the hospital for observation for chest pain, but he's OK and home today. I really would have liked another night alone, just me and TJ the cat, oh well. Then it's the drug store and grocery shopping to get ready in case the power goes out. I'm not sure if we're far enough away from Boston that it might not affect us, but I'm more worried about our daughter Kari who works at Dulles Airport in Operations, it's possible she would have to work all weekend, but we haven't talked to her even though we left messages. Hope you make it through all right and anyone else in Irene's path. They are not fun. My daughter lived in FL for several years and she lucked out 3 times, but the 4th time the hurricane landed in Ft. Lauderdale where she was, not fun for her. She's not crazy about hurricanes,but she wasn't crazy about tornados when she lived in Lubbock, TX. Can't fight Mother Nature. Hope everyone makes it through Irene OK.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM

i'm in central new jersey also. very low altitude and surrounded by old, tall trees. all you can do is use common sense. i have canned goods in the pantry always, meat in the freezer and only had to buy milk and bread. if the electric goes, we have batteries and candles. we always have water in gallons. and we'll put water in the bathtub that we never use. we did buy a pump for the basement, jut in case. more than that we cannot do. i refuse to get hysterical about it. i only worry about the things i can change.
and if i can't sew for a few days, the world will still turn.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Another thought. If your house phones are all cordless, they won't work without electricity even if your phone service is working. You will need one of the old fashion plug into the wall ones. That was a lesson learned by a lot of people during Charlie. Hey, we were cheap...all our phones were the plug in kind, and worked just fine, lol.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Prayers and thoughts are with all of you from Illinois. Stay safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM

We, in Irene's path, thank all of you for your prayers. I've just returned from a couple of day's visit with my daughter in Binghamton and am now preparing. My husband went out and bought a $900 generator!! We've been told we should evacuate, but with six kitties, where would we go? We're on the eastern end of long island's south shore and it seems we're not getting hit as badly as NYC. So all my featherweights have been moved upstairs - will keep you all posted.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM
elm

Be well and safe. Sending positive thoughts to everyone in the storms way.
Originally Posted by Debbie C
We, in Irene's path, thank all of you for your prayers. I've just returned from a couple of day's visit with my daughter in Binghamton and am now preparing. My husband went out and bought a $900 generator!! We've been told we should evacuate, but with six kitties, where would we go? We're on the eastern end of long island's south shore and it seems we're not getting hit as badly as NYC. So all my featherweights have been moved upstairs - will keep you all posted.