Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Pfaff Grand Quilter >

Pfaff Grand Quilter

Pfaff Grand Quilter

Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 AM

What size needles would that be, and what does the package say as I don't think I have ever seen any that say specifically topstitch needles? I have tried Schmetz 90/14 as someone else told me that worked for them (and they did work in the last quilt that I quilted). I just looked in my needle stash and none of them say Topstitiching needle, so I am just being a little dumb right now about what to buy. What does the package say and what brand? I have also heard another quilt say she uses a jean needle so will try that this morning. I am sure getting lots of advice and am really appreciating it as then you don't feel quite so alone with your frustration knowing that so many people have been there before. Thanks so much for sharing your experience as well. Have a great day! CA
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Hi from Ms.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by carole-anne
Hi I am new to the site and joined it in desperation to find out why my Pfaff Grand Quilter keeps breaking the thread no matter what I do. I have quilted one baby quilt on it (I am using it on the long arm frame, Inspiron I think it is) and it kept breaking the thread but it finally worked when I changed the needles that came with it for a 90/14. Now I have a big quilt on there and ready and excited to go and instead it's two days of fighting with it as the thread breaks every five minutes or so. It sews beautifully and then the thread breaks. Like some of the quilters I have read about, I am ready to throw it out the window. I have not used it without the long arm frame as I bought it specifically to use with the frame so I don't need it to work on a table, I need it to work with the frame. Can anyone help with suggestions. I can't find the book and hope I am threading it right and maybe it needs oiling but I don't know where as I can't find the book. I checked out the internet to find instructions for those but so far the internet is like a bad road map and I haven't been able to find any instruction book that I can just read online. Help!
Welcome from Tennessee! I have the same setup....don't have much problem with thread breaking but when you are sewing to the right, my stitches skip big time. I have the stitch regulator but I think I will throw it out the window! Sounds like your bobbin tension is too tight. Good luck
Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 AM

I bought a special needle needed for these machines at the quilt store. It is a Schmetz HL X 5, also picked up extra bobbins. hope this helps
Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 AM
RDM

Welcome. I'm not a LAQ but this is the place for expert advice given in a friendly helpful manner as you can see by what's already posted here. All I can add is that when I move my quilt through my regular machine in a tugging/pulling manner incorrectly to my sewing speed that happens when I quilt, rather than with nice even flow.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 AM

This may sound crazy , but my pressure foot has to be up when I thread the machine. Also if it is not threaded just right my thread will break.
Oh ,and wlecome to the board.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Hi RDM, for sure I have received so many helpful hints and I am amazed at how many people are giving of their time to try to help me out. Wow, thanks to everyone for caring enough to respond. I am thrilled to hear from all those experienced quilters. Have a great day to all of you!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi Nena, okay will try that as well. Hopefully I will be able to report later today that I am quilting and having fun with it instead of being frustrated. Have a great day!
CA
Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 AM

The needle I spoke of is "Inspira" topstitch 90. I learned about it on the Yahoo group for Pfaff Grandquilter.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I will try that if these that I am using don't work. Good info to have.