Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilt for a broken heart and some advise needed. >

A quilt for a broken heart and some advise needed.

A quilt for a broken heart and some advise needed.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Maybe ask the girl how she feels about it and go from there?

Give her choices/options - She might be old enough to choose?

A)

B)

C)
Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 AM

I don't think a picture of the dog would hurt her at all, I lost my Yorkie after having him for 13 years, and I had a photo of him on my computer desk, he was my best friend and I miss him a lot and I love looking at his picture and I tell him often that I miss him sooooo much!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Carron
A close friend's daughter was going on her daily walk with one of her dogs. While they were out enjoying the secenery the dog fell to the ground and died instantly and the girl had to carry her dead fur baby back to the house.
The vet said that it was a heart attack, the dog was only 5 yrs of age.

Anyway, her mom told me that she liked to curl up on the couch with both dogs and snuggle into a blanket which I was told is very old, worn and has rips and tears in it.

I am making this quilt (mom knows) for her and hopefully she will see fit to use it with her remaining dog.
(pictur of the top which iI finished this morningis is below)

My question is this....do you think it would be a good idea or not to include something about her deceased fur baby. She gave me a picture of him and I could transfer it on to fabric and sew it on the back with the name and dates of birth and death?

Thanks for you opinions!
This is so pretty, but how about putting the pic of the fur baby in the center of the quilt here. I know u r done with it but on top and surrounded by all the flowers and for her to see and smile and have the pup on top. U could just add it I think easy. Afterall, why hide the fur baby, she loved it so.......Then on the back with the label I would put something like, this quilt was made in loving memory of (name), you will always have me by your side and be warm.......... What u think???)
Shar
Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Carron
A close friend's daughter was going on her daily walk with one of her dogs. While they were out enjoying the secenery the dog fell to the ground and died instantly and the girl had to carry her dead fur baby back to the house.
The vet said that it was a heart attack, the dog was only 5 yrs of age.

Anyway, her mom told me that she liked to curl up on the couch with both dogs and snuggle into a blanket which I was told is very old, worn and has rips and tears in it.

I am making this quilt (mom knows) for her and hopefully she will see fit to use it with her remaining dog.
(pictur of the top which iI finished this morningis is below)

My question is this....do you think it would be a good idea or not to include something about her deceased fur baby. She gave me a picture of him and I could transfer it on to fabric and sew it on the back with the name and dates of birth and death?

Thanks for you opinions!
I have four dogs, and know that when any of them passes, it will be heartbreaking, for they are like my own children. Might I suggest since she, like me, cuddled with both of them, that you not only put a picture of the one she lost, but put pictures of both of her babies on the quilt, and then she can continue to cuddle with them both.

Some people do keep the memories of their pets closer than others, even keeping the ashes, etc. I had a parrot, Caesar, who lived with me for 26 years. I would have loved it if someone had done a quilt with his picture on it for me. I think she would love having her little dogs photos on that quilt, and I think you are an angel for doing this for her.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM

what a wonderful idea !! A memorial quilt for her of her beloved dog, that is a great idea ..
Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM

I also say a picture is perfect and how many times do you see a picture of an old animal of yours and it reminds you of old times.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Beautiful quilt. Perhaps you could needle turn applique picture label onto back of finished quilt so she can remove if upsetting. I also would omit dates. Picture and name is perfect.
If the mother agrees, I this this is a great idea. since the death date is so new. :) nice of you to make her a wrm snuggle quilt :)
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I started crying, how awful. How sad.
Beautiful quilt and I know she will shed many tears while curled up in it, but also will heal.
Yes, I think a picture added to the label would be appropriate. Maybe add the Rainbow Bridge poem to it.
I think the pic is a great acknowledgment to her so loved pal... this poem is great... it was given to me when I lost my sweet baby Molly, black Cocker who was 13... it really has a soft meaning to your heart... the quilt is so comfortable looking , she will love it!!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I started crying, how awful. How sad.
Beautiful quilt and I know she will shed many tears while curled up in it, but also will heal.
Yes, I think a picture added to the label would be appropriate. Maybe add the Rainbow Bridge poem to it.
I think the pic is a great acknowledgment to her so loved pal... this poem is great... it was given to me when I lost my sweet baby Molly, black Cocker who was 13... it really has a soft meaning to your heart... the quilt is so comfortable looking , she will love it!!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM

yes !