Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minature pressing irons >

Minature pressing irons

Minature pressing irons

Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 AM

I was thinking about getting the one for $9.99 from Clothide. Are they any good? No mention of these here.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:04 AM

I have the long-handled Clover, as well. It works great when I'm paper-piecing. I wouldn't want to use it one big project - it would just take too long and be too aggrevating. It would depend on what kind of project you plan to use it on.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I love my clover mini for small projects
Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 AM

I am using my second Clover mini iron. I used the first one for years before it broke. I rushed out and baught a new one immediately. I use it to bond piping to smocked garments for ease in sewing the piping correctly, to press doll clothes, and now that I'm quilting, I keep the iron in a ceramic mug by my sewing machine to re press seams that I've pressed in the wrong direction or to press a short seam when I do not want to get up and go to the ironing board. I really like that Clover mini iron!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by Peckish
I have the mini clover iron. It worked fine, but I kept grabbing it in the wrong spot and burning myself, so I put it in a closet and got this one by Dritz. I love it! It has 4 different temperature settings, an adjustable stand, and the head is adjustable, too. I put it next to my machine so I can do quick presses of seams in between sewing.
i have this one, and i love it..it gets really hot, and i use it like you do, next to my machine.

there is another out there that , that got excellent reviews..
the crafty gemini:
http://craftygemini.blogspot.com/201...hat-could.html

reviews:
http://www.bestcovery.com/steam-fast...t=1&best=77063
One major difference I noticed between the mini steam iron referred to in the above links and the Rowenta Travel iron (other than price) is the fact that this one is 400 watts compared to 1000 watts for the Rowenta. If you're worried about tripping circuit brakers at quilt retreats, you might want to go with the 400 watt. Just MHO.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 AM

I have a mini Clover that I use next to my sewing machine when I am making 9 patch or sewing quilt pieces together. Works great for the small projects, otherwise I use a 'real' iron for the rest of my projects. I bought mine with a coupon.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 AM

I bought the cheapest mini iron at JoAnns. Reg $9 used the 40% off and once in a while the cord comes out when I am using it but it gets really hot and cools quickly.
I take it teverywhere and I have one of the small omni boards with the iron sid and the cutting side and it is right there for classes or when I go to Sat. UFO days. at my local shop.
robin
Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce R
I was thinking about buying one of those little pressing irons that would help me pressing those 1/4" seams. I have seen them at Joannes for about $30.00. Does anyone use it?
I bought one when I was making a quilt that had maching embroidery design and appliques that were attached with Heat and Bond. Example: outline sewn within embroidery design. Cut fabric to fit within outline. Use mini iron to attach fabric piece using heat & bond. Then use embroidery design to add more dimension to flower design. The iron worked well in such small spaces. But I can say that I have not used it for anything else. I just don't think about it. But I am sure there are more uses.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM

I use the long handled one -- clover makes one but I purchased my second at a hobby shop. I keep it with a six inch ironing board/cutting board on my sewing table -- it is great for those little spots while you are sewing and do not want to get up to iron.
Just do not forget to turn it off when you finish! We are used to irons with auto shut off, that I tend to forget (why, i needed to buy a new one).
Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
When Joanns has quilting notions 50% off, the Clover irons are included.. I have the red Clover and the Dritz, and the little Rowenta, the little Clover, and the lisst goes on!
The Joann's here doesNOT let you use coupons on any irons. Even the ones that look like toys. I bought a $10.00 travel iron at Target, and I love it. It can be dry or steam.