Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would do? >

What would do?

What would do?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 AM

Bedspreads in stores often include a skirt around three sides, which makes them easy to put on and gives the look of a dust ruffle without struggling to put a dust ruffle between the mattress and springs. So a dust ruffle could be added at or near the binding without too much difficulty, and that might solve the problem.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
Since the size had not even been discussed, you made the quilt. She has not come directly out and asked to extend it. I would leave it at that. If she does come out and ask..she would need to give you more fabric ...or...as previously mentioned, putting a spread on the bed before the quilt is beautiful. I believe your friendship will always be there, but, I think your friend is expecting a little too much from your genorosity
I agree. You might tell her that she gave you only so many blocks to work with, and the quilt size came out actually larger because you added more of your own fabric. She never agreed on a given size!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Ah, no good deed goes unpunished. You said it was discussed that the quilt was to made be with the fabric she provided, so the size was really determined my her. The two extra blocks wouldn't have made it a queen size. Is she prepared to pay for more quilting on it? More fabric? Maybe her dtr can use it as a wall hanging or a topper instead?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 AM

I agree with most of the posters here and believe that you have finished the quilt. I would also let your friend know that when you add borders to enlarge a quilt that it detracts from the original pattern and then looks like you did exactly that....added borders to enlarge it.....and not in a good way either. There are some patterns that you can play with and make bigger while still retaining the integrity of the design, some you can't. I just hate to see you do something to the finished quilt that will disappoint you and your friend.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 AM

I dont think your friend realizes how much work that involves--and then to take it apart?? I dont think i would--i would just explain to her that adding more after its been quilted would be very difficult and may not look good in the end.Offer to make another if she is a very good friend and tell her to use that one on a different bed.I am not saying she is stupid--its just that people that dont do quilting dont know how much work is involved.Good luck with that one.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Swap Hosts

Take the binding off and do something to make it bigger for her. Friendship matters most.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
Since the size had not even been discussed, you made the quilt. She has not come directly out and asked to extend it. I would leave it at that. If she does come out and ask..she would need to give you more fabric ...or...as previously mentioned, putting a spread on the bed before the quilt is beautiful. I believe your friendship will always be there, but, I think your friend is expecting a little too much from your genorosity
:thumbup:
Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Just thinking out loud.... could you maybe add a border without removing the binding... sew it on under the back of the binding.. kinda like having the binding as a "welt" - cant think of the correct word I am looking for. Hope you can visualize what I am saying ;-)
I was going to suggest this-I had to add to a quilt due to new bigger bed a yr later and it was easier than I thought and you could not tell it wasn't always a queen sizeAnd the original binding was a nice touch to the overall look
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 AM

Sugguest that she could use it as a topper and she wants she could purchase a bed skirt. I would not undo the binding, that's a lot of work. She should have specified what size. I think she expects too much!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Make the coffee, invite your friend over and talk over the possibilities.
I'm liking this idea too, then just sort of steer the conversation around to the fact that first it was suppose to be for someone, then somebody entirely different and then it was supposed to have been bigger and you worked with what you had etc....all the while laughing and talking. Good friends are too important to lose.