Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Trudy's Fusible Stained Glass Portrait Technique >

Trudy's Fusible Stained Glass Portrait Technique

Trudy's Fusible Stained Glass Portrait Technique

Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 AM

I love this Idea of using pictures on quilts. I have been playing with my software, to see what i could use to do this and found that the kodak easy share software makes pictures in to coloring book pages and so i tried it with a picture of my husband and girls. and it does the same thing you are saying to do but less steps. i now want to try it with fabric, thank you so much for sharing . here is my pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-248473.jpe
Views:	131
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	248479  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Great job!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 AM

You did a great job! Now riddle me this...how hard was it....be truthful! I have been wanting to try one, but ....
Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM

how does that work?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
You did a great job! Now riddle me this...how hard was it....be truthful! I have been wanting to try one, but ....
Kappy, this is not hard to do ...and that's the truth!!!

With the technologies available today there's more than one way to get from a photo to a project pattern. Trudy's methods become important when it comes to translating the image into a fabric likeness.

Let's all wish her good speed in finalizing her new book of instruction.

EK
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by eltakay
I was so intrigued with the technique Trudy developed I just had to attempt it with a picture of my grandson taken about 3 years ago.

My first result turned out pretty well even though that little smile is not quite captured in the fabric rendition. A few other details are a little off, too, but it was a fun learning experience. I did make an extra copy of the "cartoon" so I'll probably attempt it again applying some of the "hindsight" gained from the first run-through.

EK
White Mountains of Arizona

EK,
I am sitting here in tears. Your grandson is so cute, and you really captured him in my quilt technique. I think I agree, the highlights of the eyes really added alot. He is just too precious! I have been thoroughly overwhelmed with the response to my technique, I cannot believe that anyone would want something that I just made up!

In the book, I planned chapters on every way that I knew to create the pattern, I see in this thread there were a couple other ways used, that I had not mentioned (one I didn't know about).

Oh,and your Molly quilt is wonderful too! I started a Tammy Bowser Mosaid Quilt of my granddaughter aobut 7-8 years ago, but over planned, and it is so huge, I cannot get myself to sit down to do it. But, seeing your Molly, I may have to revisit that UFO (after I get the book finished!).

;-)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by primgranny
I love this Idea of using pictures on quilts. I have been playing with my software, to see what i could use to do this and found that the kodak easy share software makes pictures in to coloring book pages and so i tried it with a picture of my husband and girls. and it does the same thing you are saying to do but less steps. i now want to try it with fabric, thank you so much for sharing . here is my pic.
ooo, great job! anxious to see the quilt!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr

EK,
I am sitting here in tears. Your grandson is so cute, and you really captured him in my quilt technique. I think I agree, the highlights of the eyes really added alot. He is just too precious! I have been thoroughly overwhelmed with the response to my technique, I cannot believe that anyone would want something that I just made up!

In the book, I planned chapters on every way that I knew to create the pattern, I see in this thread there were a couple other ways used, that I had not mentioned (one I didn't know about).

;-)
Trudy, thanks for saying such nice things. That sure is 'high compliment' to me.

And now you know your fan base is increasing with even more people waiting anxiously for your book to go to print. I hope they will all share their projects here, too.

EK
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM

You did a fantastic job on your portrait quilt.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 PM

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting your book!!!