Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage!  How do you do it? >

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by NancyG
Trust, communication, honesty, fidelity, sense of humor, and don't sweat the small stuff!
All the above, but foremost is keep God in the middle of it. Be in church, don't demand any "rights" in your marriage, pray together.

AND,.....don't sweat the small stuff! :thumbup:
Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM

right after I was married (34 years ago) a friend gave me the advice that her mother had given to her:
we live in a world of "no" so find every opportunity to tell each other "yes".....so far, so good :lol:
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM

These are great reasons/ways to keep a marriage strong! I am thinking of typing these up for a little home made gift for my daughter getting married this September.......providing you all say it's okay to quote you.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM

After 70 yrs marriage,he still calls her his bride.3 weeks ago he passed.They never had any fights,but did have a few little spats that were over with as fast as they started.As they both dealt with it right there on the spot.They respected each others opinion.She is alone now,but cherishes his memory.May you be like them.And have a long happy loving life.Me and my hubby are just like them.We been together and married now 20 yrs.They are our neighbor,friends,and part of our family.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 PM

I was married to my husband at 16 yrs old.He was 21 at the time.We have been married since Dec 1955.The first thing I would suggest is not to have my money or his money but OUR money.Also try to do for each other even if you rather not.The main thing is to make each other happy.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:43 AM

Faith in God and keeping an eternal perspective have helped my husband and I for 38 years and many trials of all types.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Listen twice as much as you speak. Think before you speak. Forgive forgive forgive. 29 years of marriage and counting!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:55 AM

you have to have respect for eachother and always show it
married 44 years.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM

always think of the other one first and dont have your money and my money.Have our money.Will be married 56 years in Dec
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM

When something is vitally important that it is said and that is understood, sometimes you have to be willing to play this game. I said"............." then he says "I heard you say"..................". and you repeat this until you are both saying the same thing. This eliminates body language, etc., double meanings, meanings carried over from other experiences, etc. This can be a pain in the neck and should be reserved for really important stuff. Otherwise, a good sense of humor, trust, love and loyalty can carry you through a lot. Also, many people do not always feel they are still "in love" all the time. That's why some people will say we've been married 40 years and 29 were wonderful. When your emotions are not "in love" your loyalty and trust should be strong enough to carry the marriage until the "in love" feelings return. "In love" feelings have to be worked at as they frequently are mixed up with romance. Loyalty and trust should be guaranteed through hell and high water, riches, poverty, sickness, etc. and so strong that you don't have to fear he/she will yield to an attraction to someone else; get bored at home and work 80 hours a week at the office or decide to quilt in the sewing room with the door shut. This keeps the empty nest syndrome from wrecking your marriage. This keeps your priorities straight. Everything all together gives a wonderful marriage that when you're in your 80's or 90's you can truthfully say, "I wish I had married you sooner; we haven't had enough time together. I love you more than ever." That's the kind of marriage we are all working toward. I wish you success.