Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Rag Quilt >

Question about Rag Quilt

Question about Rag Quilt

Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
Amazing timing. I just finished my very first rag quilt, also done with the Accuquilt Go! I made it using three layers of flannel (Grinch Christmas fabrics on the front and back of the quilt and plain white flannel for the middle layer). Although I considered layering them together before cutting, I think it would have been very hard to roll it with three layers (you must have strong arms!!!). As it turned out, I was fussycutting the top layer so had to cut each of those squares separately anyway. It really wasn't too bad layering them after they were cut. Will try to attach a picture on a separate reply.

BTW, I had read that it's really important to wash your flannel in hot water in advance of cutting/making the quilt (hope I'm not too late with this suggestion). It will shrink a lot, and not at the same rate as your non-flannel fabric.
I washed all of the fabrics in hot water prior to cutting them. And yes, I am building up my muscles turning the crank on my AccuQuilt!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM

The first (and only so far) quilt I made was a rag quilt. I had a lot of fun doing and got great help on this board. Can't wait to see your finished product!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:27 PM

I will be watching this thread. I just bought an Accuquilt Go and have been looking at the rag quilt dies on Ebay.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM

I love doing the rag quilts, I have done about 6 of them and working on a blue jean one for my daughter though its taking forever because its a King and heavyyyy. If its a good quality flannel I just use the front and back. I don't wash before putting it together and I have had no problem so far with shrinking, I do wash them 4 or 5 times to get as much as the strings out as I can before giving them away. I just got the Accuquilt die but have not used it yet, soon though.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM

This sounds like it would work to me. Let us know how it comes out. Don't for get to post a pic when you're done. :)
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Yes, please post a picture! I Will be very interested to see it. I too have purchased the die, but have not used it yet.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM

I made a rag quilt from all cotton fabrics and had NO problem getting the rag effect. I also made a huge laundry bag from an old twin sheet to wash and dry it in to catch all the threads.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 PM

ARE YOU SEWING YOUR BLOCKS IN STRIPS AND THEN CUT.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
ARE YOU SEWING YOUR BLOCKS IN STRIPS AND THEN CUT.
I haven't sewed anything yet. If you look back a little bit, you will see a picture of the blocks that I am cutting with my Accuquilt with the rag die. I have the fabrics in order and then cutting each block. When I get all cut out, I will then sew them together as you would any other rag quilt. The only thing I am doing different is that I am cutting all layers of each block at the same time and they are already snipped for ragging by the die.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-248809.jpe
Views:	108
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	248815  
Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

those look great. can't wait to see the whole quilt done!!