Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would do? >

What would do?

What would do?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 AM

IMO I would not change the quilt. It was gracious of you to finish it for her. She did not say anything about size. Apparently her daughter does not understand the difference between a massed produced bedspread and a quilt that is a work of (he)art.

Personally, I would be thrilled to receive a quilt made from blocks my grandmother made and pieced by a dear friend of my mother's.
The most I would do is offer to put a sleeve on the back so she could hang it.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 AM

I agree!
Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Originally Posted by luv-e
Take off the binding.... and add more...
Friendships that long ,well chaulk it up to a lack of communication.......
I agree. It would be a shame to lose a friend over it
Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm sure the basis of this problem is the fact that non-quilters simply have no idea of the effort, the time, the personal inpouring of energy (psychic , physical, emotional, and artistic) that goes into a quilt. They see it as an exercise that is repetitive and therefore not requiring even much thought! They also don't realize the numbef of hours we put into a quilt, or the relief, reward, gratification we feel when we finish a quilt. For many of us "it is done!" which also is a strong emotional/psychic celebration, no matter how brief.

Send her this as a quote and then tell her, if you want, lets get together over coffee and talk about what to do. Make sure she buys the extra fabric (skirt addition sounds like the best idea to me) for whatever you decide, and even matching thread. Non quilters have no idea how much a spool of good thread costs, much less the $10/yd that most fabric cost.

If you do it this way, you have a good chance of strengthening your friendship even more. You will have educated her in a new (quiler's) way and trusted her to understand where you are coming from. You are respecting who she is and where she is in the cosmos (which is not a quilter's cosmos) and she will see where you are.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bcap911
BFF sent me a stack of embroidered blocks that her mother had sewn. She wanted to give the quilt to her daughter.
I don't remember discussing size, but told her I would put it together with whatever fabric she sends with it (backing and borders). Completed the quilt piecing - had two extra blocks made her pillows. Sent to my LA friend to be finished.
she picked it up two weeks ago. Sent me an email, that she decided to give it to her daughter, but the quilt just fits the top of her queen size bed. She asked if I had any suggestions as to how to make it bigger, possibly add a border all around. Hinted that it was supposed to be a queen size. Got the feeling she was disappointed. No money involved except the LAQuilter. I even used some of my stash fabric to finish the quilt.
What would you do? Offer to take the binding off and add another border? I don't want to lose her friendship, known each other since before Kindergarten.
Maybe I'm just crazy thinking this. ...

Not sure if this would work but could you "somehow" add without taking off the binding? Like making the binding look like a flange?

Make the border, attach to the edge of the binding, then fold it so the binding covers the sewn raw edge?

Long-time friendships are hard to find so I'd try to fix it if it's possible.

Good Luck !
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM

I would just simply tell her in great detail what you would have to do in order to make the quilt bigger...I bet she will reconsider...
Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Tell her to take it to the store and pick the fabric for the borders (tell how much she will need) and you will attach them.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BarbP
Would it be possible to turn the quilt so that the longest part of the quilt goes across the narrowest part of the bed? I did this with my avatar and then made a pillow runner since then it wasn't long enough to go over the pillows.
I am doing that same thing now to one of my own quilts.
It works!
Suggest that first, and offer to make a couple of sets of matching pillowcases/shams.

Ooops, happerend to think the embroidery was "one way"?
How about making an under larger bedquilt, plain in the center, just for the longer sides?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM

If she really wants it larger, suggest that you could attach a bed skirt to it (she could either purchase a ready made skirt that you could use, or coordinating fabric that could be ruffled/ stitched onto it). I made a bedspread this way and it looked great (quilted top with ruffled sides). If you are lifetime friends, I am sure that you want to do something...but if you really don't have the time or desire, this shouldn't ruin your friendship. You were a gem to do what you already did for her.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
I agree, could you just do a skirt type look under the binding side? How else would you attach another border to a already quilted piece? won't it have a hard ridge to it?

That is what my mother did with grandmother's quilt. She added a bed skirt/ruffle to the binding on the inside and it looks fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 PM

New idea. Suggest that SHE - the friend, NOT YOU, quilt the necessary amount of embroidered blocks it would need to enlarge the quilt, which would add her loving handwork to the quilt she wants her daughter to have, and when she is done, you can get together and disassembled the boarders, go to the fabric store, TOGETHER, pick out the new fabrics, and TOGETHER, you can lovingly refinish the quilt. Ah...the joys the daughter will have with all those generations of loving handwork everytime she looks at the quilt with work done by her grandmother, her mother, and mostly you.

Now removing tongue partially from cheek. Seriously, suggesting that your friend add her hard work may be just what is needed, and done gently in this way, showing her how much more her daughter could appreciate the quilt, may give you another couple decades to have to decide.