Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 AM

I started learning when I turned 60--three years ago. High school did not have Home EC, not that I would have taken it anyway. I thought then that it was "stupid" and I didn't want to identify with all those future wives and mothers. I wanted to be a professional something. I eventually became a clinical psychologist. Well, I am a wife and a mother and a beginning sewer and still a feminist. I guess young minds tend to put things into black and white. I wish I would have started sewing earlier but no point to regrets.

Anybody else out there who grew up with similar attitudes? I can't be the onlu one!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 AM

Yep, made my very first apron in HomeEc. We had a very short, petite little foreign speaking lady, don't know the nationality, didn't care back then. Could have been Asian or from South America, I don't know. Back then, that's not something we cared about in those days. I not trying to be mean but when you're a kid, that's not something that concerns you, just like being a teenager and thinking you're indestructible...Anyhow, I don't remember this teachers name either but we had to make Macaroon cookies. That was fine, my Mom had 5 daughters and we all had to learn how to cook at a very young age so cooking and baking was not new to me. I actually liked making those Macaroons. Thennnnn, we had to eat them. I hurled and she never made me eat anything in that class again. LOL..We used to laugh at her all the time...kids!..teenagers! ! !......When she ask us to get out our cookie sheets, she pronounced it Cookie (Shits)...LOL...of course, being a bunch of silly girls, we giggled every time. Ahhh, the memories, it's amazing the things that pop back into your head at times, lolol....
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 AM

Sorry, repeat/

Originally Posted by ginnh1588
I started learning when I turned 60--three years ago. High school did not have Home EC, not that I would have taken it anyway. I thought then that it was "stupid" and I didn't want to identify with all those future wives and mothers. I wanted to be a professional something. I eventually became a clinical psychologist. Well, I am a wife and a mother and a beginning sewer and still a feminist. I guess young minds tend to put things into black and white. I wish I would have started sewing earlier but no point to regrets.

Anybody else out there who grew up with similar attitudes? I can't be the onlu one!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 AM

I learned to sew when I was very little. I remember using my grandmothers sewing machine or just her needles and thread to make clothes for my Barbies out of her quilting and clothing scraps. I still have my Barbies and some of the clothes I made. I laugh everytime I see them, but they bring back great memories. So I already knew how to sew when I took home ec my Freshman year of high school. I remember making an apron as my first class project and a skirt and vest as my second project. That about 30 years ago and I still have the apron, but wore the skirt out years ago.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 AM

My mom put me on a sewing machine at 10 and said "you get to make your school clothes now". so by the time I got to mandatory 7th grade sewing I was already setting in sleeves, button holes, all manner of clothes construction. Our projects for the entire semester were to make a gym bag and a pleated skirt (had to be in gingham, still hate orange gingham to this day). The teacher was not happy with me because I already could sew. To make matters worse, my mom, at open house, realized my sewing teacher was the same women she had in HER 7th grade class and she very loudly announced it to the assembled parents...that was the icing on the cake and I was "it" for all her bad moods for the rest of the semester!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 AM

I leaned from my Mother. I can remember making doll clothes using my Mother's treadle sewing machine. I had to sit on the edge of the chair to reach the treadle. I first used an electric machine in HS about 50 years ago. I still have the treadle machine I learned on. It is shown here with the "Quilt as You Go" quilt I made 2 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-248913.jpe
Views:	77
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	248919  
Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 AM

I did have Home Ec in school--by the time you got out your project, threaded the machine, and sewed five minutes, the class period was over, and you put it all away! Enough to teach you to hate sewing! I did begin making my own clothes when I was a teen, and have sewed from then--I sewed for the public for five years while my children were growing up, and made my spending money--still enjoy sewing. quiltinbill
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 AM

I took home ec, but mom and Gran taught me to sew long before high school.

Our district doesn't teach home ec anymore. I'm sad. Even for a while they had a class call "Independent Living" where they taught, not so much home economics, but balancing the checkbook, budgeting, basic cooking, sewing, and home repair skills. They don't even have that anymore. We don't even have FFA or FHA anymore. "Lack of Interest..." Sad...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 AM

when I was a freshman in high school, we had to make a tent dress. Being top heavy, it looked like a maternity dress. UGH! I gave it to a friend of my mother, who WAS expecting. Never cared about sewing clothes. Started being interested in quilting about 12 years ago. Been collecting fabric ever since. I LOVE QUILTING even though I don't get alot done.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 AM

My grandmother taught me when I was around 10 years old. I loved it then, and I love it now. I also learned on a treadle machine. I think it was a singer.