Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM

I learned to sew in Home Ec my first year in high school, which was grade 9, in 1958. We had a superb teacher. My mother was an excellent seamstress, and she helped me a lot too. By the time I was a sophomore I was making all my own clothes. I never had a "stash" because I sewed up every piece of fabric I could get my hands on. Have made many, many clothing items for myself, my sisters, nieces, then my own children and grandchildren, in addition to sewing for the public through the years. I love to sew.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 AM

I learned to sew in public high school, after two years in a private school where I took wood shop. My guitars were better than the clothes I made, although I did make a gaucho set (dating myself) that came out well.

After that, my sewing was sporadic, mainly repairs, and some costumes and a boy doll for my son. The quilting has only been the last seven or so years.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM

wow ! I guess I was lucky to of had a grandmother who taught me how to sew/embroider/cook when I was 5 years old-yah it was simple things like pillow cases etc.. but then she taught me how to do a pattern when I was 7 and I did that up until my mom was diagnosed with cancer and I put it aside and concentrated on High school studies other than sewing (as Dad put it there was no future in that !). Then I picked it up again when my children were born and they needed clothes and we didn't have much, so I started sewing again. I remember my first skirt-it was such a pretty purple with gold thread going through it-I wore a black blouse as it had black in the material also.
IF I could stay home and have a lucrative salary for sewing at home I would of and still might even think about it !LOL <wink>
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Since I learned to sew on a FW when I was 5, I learned to absolutely HATE the Singer Touch and Sew sewing machines they made us use - still do hate them. I vowed I would NEVER own a Singer as long as I lived. I do vintage Singer now - has to be PRE-T&S for me. The old Singer slant o matics are pretty cool.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 AM

I took Home Ec as well in school, but I first started sewing thru 4-H club. I have sewed ever since, clothes, home decor, crafts, even knitting and crocheting and some hand embroidery. My MIL taught me to tat as well but have forgotten all of that.
Started quilting just a couple of years ago.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 AM

I did. We had a Home Ec. teacher that was so prissy & meticulous that she annoyed everyone, even her class pets (of which I was not one). However, she was determined that we would learn what she had to teach; now I am grateful for that because some of that knowledge has come in very handy over the years.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM

I took home ec, but my mother really taught me to sew. She was a excellent seamstress. I wish I could sew like she did. I can get by, but I don't have the immagination she had.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 AM

Funny thing, I failed my sewing portion of Home Ec. It didn't seem to be a problem later in lifer when I made my own clothes...
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM

My aunt taught me how to sew a basic cotton slip when I was 9. After that I was self taught. I still prefer quilting and home dec over garment sewing.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM

I took Home Ec in high school and enjoyed it very much. When I became a mother of a boy and a girl I sewed a lot of their clothes, that was in the Stretch-and-sew days. I made T-shirts, pajamas, and a lot of my daughter's little dresses. There was a fabric store walking distance from where we lived and I would go down there and pick up remnants, they had the best remnant table I have ever seen, then or since then. The pieces were usually just big enough to make a little dress for Jennifer. What I loved about having all of the remnants was that I could put together something that was all of my own choosing after I got them home...I still love having that kind of choice...that's why my stach is sooooo darned big. Choices is what it's all about.