Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you just throw your old needles?? >

Do you just throw your old needles??

Do you just throw your old needles??

Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Can't imagine changing needles for every project. If the machine starts "thunking" or the stitch gets "funny" or there are other problems with the machine, the first thing to do is change the needle because that follows the rule, "try the simplest solution first." Ninety-nine and 9/10 of the time it works.

I have a sharps can made out of coffee can that I also use for my Schnauzer's insulin needles and I use it for pins, worn out sewing needles, etc. When it gets full, I tape the lid down tight and throw it all away.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 AM

Use them to hang pictures. GG RECYCLE!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 AM

I always change my machine needles and hand sewing needles when I start a new sewing project. The stick pins I stop using them when I can't get it to stick it thru the fabric. I toss the old pins in a soup can and when it gets full I put a piece of crunched up foil in the top of the can and send it to recycling.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 AM

No, I save them in a jar. They are wonderful to hang things on the wall. They are strong and make really small holes. Also, they really look great just in the glass jar.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM

I use machine needles for a longer time than is recommended and have never had a problem with that. When I decide to replace them, I put them in little plastic containers (which originally had glucose testing strips in them); same with bent hand sewing needles and damaged or bent straight (oops - oxymoron) pins. The caps fit snugly on the containers so I feel they will not come off when I throw them in the trash.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I have been told to change needles with every project, but I don't. With my rheumatoid and osteo arthritis, it is sometimes hard to replace the needle and we won't even go into threading a new needle. I didn't know that you could sharpen the needle, but I change the needle when the machine starts skipping stitches and generally not sewing quite right. Then I have an old pill bottle I use to store them until I throw them away. I have used old needles when paper piecing though, as sewing through paper is like sewing through wood. Don't just throw the needle in the trash, even wrapped in tissue - you can get pricked very easily or it will come through the trash bag and it's not pleasant. So, short answer: Yes, when they have served their purpose and no longer do a good sewing job.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
you can also use them for sewing thru paper to mark a pattern. I did this when i PP a flying geese. i pinned about 6 or 8 pieces of paper together and ran the unthreaded needle over the sewing lines. worked great.
My Bernina refuses to sew without thread in the needle. Bummer. LOL
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I've heard they make good "nails" for hanging pictures.
I have used them many times to hang pictures. The hole made in the wall is very small.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Ava

I agree.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 AM

I toss mine but I use a medicine bottle to put them in so as not to let anyone get stuck, ther is too much out there for people to get from dirty needles even sewing ones.....all of the used ones are well used in my house so that is why when I throw them away it is away for good....