Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 AM

The FCS department at Belfield, ND had a long-arm too. The kids just love the class. They make quilts for themselves and for charity (service learning project).

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Our high schools here even teach quilting as part of the sewing class. One of the schools even has a lonfarm machine and the kids learn that too.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler
First my Grandmother taught me lots when I went to visit her as a child. At first she would let me go through her scraps to sew pillows, snakes, simple things. Later she did teach us kids to sew more advanced items, so Home Ec in school was much easier to grasp. I loved my Home Ec teachers, they were very caring, and helpful and even now I think of how much what they taught us kids was so important to what we do every day at home and work. It's sad to think that so many schools have done away with this important class, as well as "SHOP" for the boys to learn wood working and such. I recall towards the end of the school year going to school on a special night where students from Art - HomeEc - Shop all had their projects on display for parents to see the work of their kids and fellow class mates. Coats, dresses, slacks, gun cabinets, coffee tables, clocks, paintings..... there was a huge display for all to see. Now it is so limited, I wonder how much creativity is lost due to cutbacks to fund these extreamly important classes.
What you said there at the end made me think...lol. My husband took Building Trades in high school and he worked for several construction companies. Then he became an electrician but he still would work in all other phases but plumbing. Because of this he was able to remodel homes we lived in and finally after 25 years of marriage HE built our beautiful dream home. He had people come to help but HE was the general contractor since he had designed our home too. Because of his building and electrical skills his best friend called him and said that he had been promoted to Maintenance Supervisor and would hubby be interested in becoming the Ass't Maintenance Supervisor for a school district. He said yes...got the job because of his knowledge and his friend just retired in June as Facilities Director and my hubby was promoted to the job.

A younger friend of ours worked summers with hubby for one of the construction companies. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life...he really loved carpentry and building trades. He would ask hubby a million questions. He ended up going to college to teach...building trades. Also my hubby and him and another guy have done many moonlighting jobs to refinish basements, add rooms etc. So...it's also a GREAT way to make extra money.

All of that to say...we CAN'T lose these arts. Where would we be without plumbers, electricians, builders, auto mechanics, fashion designers, gourmet cooks in restaurants etc. They all had to learn from classes they took in school. So we can't let these type of jobs become a dying art.

Sorry for being so long winded but... I hate to hear that school districts throw away these classes.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

No, I learned to sew from my mother, at 6 she bought me a pot holder kit to embroider, then sew together, then she started me on aprons (without a pattern), as well as gathered skirts. Mom never learned how to sew from a pattern, didn't have many patterns when she was raising my brothers before, during and after the Depression, she just made it up as she went along. Then, when I got to high school, the principal thought freshmen girls weren't old enough to have home ec., but I had home ec the remaining 3 years of high school. I didn't have much money, so I didn't make any fancy clothes, but practical cotton - at 50 cents/yard, but made all my clothes from then on, into my early 20's. Took a break for a few years, then started again and made a lot of my daughter's clothes. Now it's mainly quilting, although with a 15 month granddaughter, I think I might make a few pretty dresses and play clothes. I think I would go insane if I couldn't quilt or sew, I love it that much.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Well, I have read most of the replies anmd I am not the "norm" I did not even know how to thread the machine when I took my first quilting. I was 62 at that time. I love quilting but am still learning.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 AM

I also have never cared for "Singer". when in high school, the year I was a freshman, they were all replaced with Vikings', When I got to college for Home Ec classes for degree, we had 10 singers and non of them worked, were replaced with different brands, Bernina, Phaff, Elna and Viking.
I presently own a Viking and Phaff and 2 Huskavana viking sergers. Was given a Elna when married 30+ years ago and it spent more time in the shop then on my kitchen table, so it lasted not quite a year in our house. My daughter won a Elna when in 4-H for top construction winner, and it too when out the door and I replaced with a Sears Kenmore which she just loves. I wouldn't own either a Singer or Elna.

Originally Posted by miriam
Since I learned to sew on a FW when I was 5, I learned to absolutely HATE the Singer Touch and Sew sewing machines they made us use - still do hate them. I vowed I would NEVER own a Singer as long as I lived. I do vintage Singer now - has to be PRE-T&S for me. The old Singer slant o matics are pretty cool.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 AM

yes, i had home ec in junior high school. still do a lot of sewing for great grand kids and myself also home decor. started sewing in 1953. lllllllllllllllongggggggggggggggg time ago. lol of ourse ,the quilting and machine embroidery.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM

Home Ec was mandatory in 8th grade,
but I was sewing long before that.
J J
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM

I started in the 7th grade and have been sewing ever since. I was the McCall's Teen Fashion Board representative from my high school. I got to pick out a pattern, fabric and then have the completed dress displayed in the window of the shop downtown. My mother nearly died when I picked out red satin! It turned out fabulous!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 AM

I learned to sew in Home Ec in Jr High. We made jumpers with zippers- I rememeber being so intimidated by it at the time! I took every Home Ec elective available in high school & my teacher took a real interest in me & was a great inspiration. She taught my how to "Stretch N Sew" & I have made so many of my own clothes. My mom wasn't much of a sewer- she tried, but it was such a chore for her- so I am thankful that those classes I took back then in Jr High were mandatory. My daughter has never taken a sewing class but is very crafty, so maybe someday she will show an interest in sewing/quilting.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 AM

Self taught from very early age, doing a lot of hand stitched doll clothes, then received the child's chain stitch, hand guided wheel sewing machine that I amazingly used to make an Easter dress with fabric my mom bought through the Aldens catalog; used the elderly neighbor's treadle machine to make the casing waist skirt in 4-H that won me the county purple ribbon and went on to state (made an apron out of it for my oldest daughter when she was very young and still have it 40 yrs later)!! Won a Free-Westinghouse sewing machine in the eighth grade (1958) and made all my clothes through high school and continued on to sew for myself & our four children, mostly for the oldest daughter who always picked out the most complicated patterns. Many a finished garment came directly off the ironing board to wear to whatever school function and etc. My hats off to Miss Nemer, my HS HE teacher, who stressed 'press as you sew' because the finished garment/quilt sure shows that time worthy step. I still sew for our four DGD's but prefer piecing quilts for the last 36+ years (haven't taken time to put mine together for myself as am always giving away quilts as gifts, charity & raffles). I, too, was Pres. of FHA in HS. I LOVE TO SEW, just ask anyone around me.