Anyone canning now?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM

Lucky you! My friend's garden, where I do my canning, failed twice. So much rain that the pollen was washed off so no pollunation. I have to buy my beans and freeze them this year. Did the same with corn. Not a happy canner here in Kentucky.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I've never attempted to can anything other than jam. Usually strawberry, but this year I just made raspberry (freezer) jam. Mmm. Every summer we enjoy fresh salsa. I am interested in canning salsa. If anyone would care to share their recipe, I would appreciate it. :)
Here's one of the receipes I used this year, turned out good (except I omitted the cilantro and marjoram):

Fiesta Salsa

7 cups chopped, seeded, peeled, cored Tomatoes

2 cups chopped, seeded, peeled Cucumbers

2 cups chopped and seeded Banana Peppers

1 cup chopped White Onion

1/2 cup chopped, peeled, roasted Anaheim Peppers

1/2 cup chopped Jalapeno Peppers

1/4 cup minced Cilantro (I didn't use in recipe)

3 cloves Garlic, minced

1 TBS minced fresh Marjoram (I didn't use in recipe)

1 tsp. Salt

1/2 cup Cider Vinegar

2 TBS Lime Juice

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into 4 hot, pints jars; leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Remove jars from water-bath and place on countertop (I put a thick towel down on my counter first) to cool. Check cap for successful seal by pressing down in the center. If the lid center does not move up and down, when pressed, the lid has sealed. Remove bands and store Salsa in a dry, dark, cool place. Yield: 4 - 1 pint jars of Salsa.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 AM

Last year I canned strawberry, blueberry, pear, peach, pepper, apple, and pineapple apricot perserves. I also did pear honey and salsa. This year I did hot, chili, and barbecue sauces. I made ketchup, diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa verde and tomato soup. I'm still waiting to harvest and preserve figs and pears.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Swap Hosts

Right before we evacuated for Irene I did several quarts of tomato sauce and a bunch of grape jam. Didn't want Irene to get the fruit before I did!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 AM

I hope to have the promised pears Thursday and I will make preserves--my absolute favorite. I also sometimes boil til sofe and freeze. Ever tried pear ice cream? It's great.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 AM

HOw do you get greem beans to freeze well? Mine turn to mush.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 AM

I usually can all year long. When I get my hands on fruit or veggies, they either go into a jar or are dehydrated. The rest of the year, I'm buying meats (turkeys at Thanksgiving, hams at Easter, hotdogs when they are on sale, wild meat when we hunt). This last weekend, I canned ham. I also can beans by using dried beans, add to jar, add water and pressure can them. I add onions in mine - sometimes a chunk of ham for flavor. I make veggie/burger (or other meat) soup and can it also. Canning is a year-round thing for me. Usually when I start, I'm at it all day and sometimes all weekend.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Just finished the last batch. I do not can any more though, I freeze all my sauces. I made Italian sauce,slow cooked it for about 6 hours and froze 10 quarts. Then I made pint size salsa, Then I made what I call tomato fixings, where everything is cooked together in a big pot on the stove. Tomatoes, celery, onion, finely chopped eggplant and zucchini.
I use this last one for chili and hot dishes. I am so done with tomatoes, I think I will give the rest away to my neighbors and friends.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM

I have not canned anything this year. :(

I have a gazillion huge tomatoes, but so far have only had one ripe one. I am not so patiently waiting for them so my canning can begin.

Also, I am down to my last couple of jars of my orange habanero bbq sauce and my blueberry grappa jelly. Looks like I know what I will be doing soon.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Freezing onions today 1/2 bushell so far