Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by EmsMom
Yes, in HS, but that was YEARS ago LOL Do they even still teach "Home Ec"? I never sewed much after that at all. I just started the last year getting interested in sewing/quilting. I need to probably take a class in both.
I was a Home Economics graduate with a degree in Home Ec. Education -- and yes we taught foods and nutrition, clothing construction, child development, and family life. Now the course is called Human Resources and they've just about done away with the actual cooking and sewing. It's a sad day. Some of the teachers ( of the old school or of the "old school" frame of mind) still incorporate as much as they can into their classes, but I don't think they focus on the home sewing, cooking, etc. It's more about the economics of purchasing, etc. We taught that too along with the our lessons.

To go back to the question: My first sewing lessons were watching my mother choose fabric (or flour sacks), cut up the pieces (some with patterns and some with home made patterns), and sewing our garments. At twelve, I asked for a sundress, and my mom suggested I go over to my aunt's store and let her help me choose a pattern (Advance Patterns), fabric, zipper, and thread. I came home and she guided me through following the guide sheet. The sundress came out so nice that I wanted another one. So I returned to the store and chose another fabric. That dress would have been in vogue today -- it was lime green broadcloth. At the time I was in the seventh grade. In high school, I took home ec classes all four years. Then did four years of college. I taught only 1/2 year of home ec and then went to work at the vo-tech school in the nursing department. Taught nutrition and diet therapy for 4 years. Then went back to school to certify in elementary grades. I still use my home ec background every day ( at home and in the community).
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM

We had to take Home Ec in junior high (grades 7-9). The teacher had piles and piles of fabric and each student had to fill a notebook (standard black-white cover) with cut patches, maybe 2" x 2", and wind up with about 300 fabric samples which we were to keep and use for the next 3 years (as far as I recall they were never used again). What I wouldn't give for the chance to rummage thru those samples now, and how I wish the book was something I'd have saved.

We had to make an outfit in 9th grade for a fashion show. The teacher finished mine. I dropped all forms of Home Ec when I got into high school. The last thing I'd have ever thought I'd wind up doing is any form of sewing!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Yes, in jr. high school. Loved it so much kept taking it many more years afterward. First project was a skirt- but ask me to make one today and I don't think I remember how.
It's been so long, and quilting is my main joy now.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 AM

I sewed my first dress at age 7. When I got to Home Ec, my teacher hated me. I knew about as much as she did. I really took Home Ec to learn to cook. My mom was very patient about teaching me to sew, but had no time for me when it came to learning to cook. I took shop in high school and enjoyed it much more than Home Ec.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Yes, I learned in Junior High. that's where I learned to lay out patterns and I still use all these techniques today.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM

I learned to sew between the ages of 3 and 4 with my Mom and Grandmother. I started cooking at age 5 with my Dad and my grandmother.

When I got to junior high they were still teaching home ec as a 2 year program. I made a LOT of (tuition, room & board) money from rich New Yorkers at the university I attended doing alterations for 25% less than New York City prices.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM

I was in junior high when I learned how to sew, our first project was to make an apron. The best thing I made was a dress with an empire waist, I just loved that dress, can't remember what kind of grade I got but I didn't really care. Made clothes for my kids when they were little and they stopped sewing for a few years and took up quilting when I retired from work and have been going strong ever since.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM

In 7th grade we made a gathered skirt without the zipper or pattern. In 8th grade we made a sleeveless blouse with a pattern, and we had to put bias tape around the armholes. In 9th grade we made skirt(with zipper) and a blouse with sleeves. Cooking class was something else I still don't like tomato soup because of it. In 8th grade the school decided the boys would take sewing and cooking, and the girls would take shops. The boys made an apron, and the girls made a shadow box. I did learn to lay quarter round with mitered corners. My friend and I could sew faster on a treadle machine than the other girls could on the electric machines. They don't teach H E where I grew up. and none Of my girls wanted to learn, even though I sewed while they were growing up.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 AM

No, I taught myself to sew. My mom sewed, embroidered, cutwork, etc...but never taught my older sisters.
I needed a skirt took in and hemmed for school (it was my older sister's, and she was in Jr High...and I was in 3rd grade)..mom said to pin the side and get to school...she didn't feel like fixing the skirt for me...so I stayed home that day and took the sides of the skirt in and hemmed it. Sister was mad as anything...but I needed something to wear.
Mom said I did a pretty good job & I could do all my own sewing from then on. Those hand stitches were not real small...but I went over the side seams until they were close enough together (or looked like it on the outside) that I was decent.
I was 9 years old...after that, mom started letting me help her with her embroidery, cutwork, pulled work, etc. I think I was the only one of the 5 daughters she taught to embroider.
Dad bought her a sewing machine...she couldn't make it work...I loved that Kenmore with the straight/zigzag only stitches. Made lots of stuff with it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 AM

In jr hi, the teacher was so boring. All she talked about was her husband, btw, was a hunk. She would talk about sex alot. When parents found out, a complaint was filed. Wasn't allowed in those days. Oh yeah, we made a skirt with an elastc waistband. A whole semester, and we made ONE skirt. In cooking we learned to make pancakes from stratch and gravy. And how to keep an origanized kitchen. Never took home ec again.