Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 PM

The first thing that I made was an apron in grammar school. My Mother sewed and taught me too. When I got in high school I took sewing and cooking. I have been sewing since I was about 12 yrs old and have sewed ever since. Made all my clothes and my three girls too, even made a few for my son. I started quilting in 2004.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Yes, in High School. First project was baby doll PJ's.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM

I learned to sew before I started school, by sitting under my mother's sewing machine extension leaf while she sewed clothing for us. I made Barbie doll clothes with the scraps from what ever fabric she gave me. By the time I was in 7th grade, I made a jumper dress. Got a B on it. Then in 10th grade I took a semester course of Textiles And Sewing. In this class I was required to make a dress with princess seams. an outfit out a napped fabric( made a corduroy pantsuit)and a plaid outfit( I made a skirt and vest and I made the vest reversible with the solid color that was in the color of the plaid . The plaid was called a window pane plaid. I learned to match plaids and I received A+ on all three outfits. This teacher taught me the difference between HANDMADE and HOME MADE. The biggest compliment any one can pay a sewer is to ask where you bought the outfit you made.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 PM

No, I learned from my grandmother, my mom and my aunt. My dear grandmother could just look at a ready made dress, go home cut out a pattern from newspaper and make an exact duplicate of the store dress! My mom taught me to make some of my clothes in HS and my aunt helped me make drapes, curtains, pillow slips and even a bedspread to match my bedroom curtains. All my family sewed...I think mostly from necessity as were pretty poor when I was a child. I even remember my grandmother making me dresses out of chicken feed sacks...now that's a long time ago...LOL
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM

I took sewing in Home Ec class. This was back in the 50's. All we made was an apron and I hated every moment of it. When I had small children I started sewing for them and myself and really loved it. It's been many yrs since then and I have not done any sewing. I would have to think hard before I could put a zipper in now.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

I learned to sew in Home Ec. In college, I took two semesters of it, plus a semester in tailoring.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
SEW

I was very intrigued by my mothers sewing machine, but I was not allowed near it! After, I had clocked a few hours of sewing in home ec, my mom finally let me use her sewing machine. Been sewing ever since!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM

You all were lucky! I went to a small catholic school, so we didn't have Home Ec.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Nope, my mom taught me to sew on a machine when I was 9. I made a button down blouse with one hand and turned the wheel with the other as she wouldn't let me use it plugged in. By the time we had sewing in school starting in 7th grade I was bored out of my mind with what they taught. In high school they wouldn't let college prep kids schedule the home ec classes. Too bad. There's lots of people out there who ended up not knowing anything about how to take care of themselves.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Does this resurrect memories or what! I took Home -Ec when I was in elementary school through grade 11. I lived in Montreal, Ca. so end of high-school was grade 11. I cannot remember what the curriculum was each year.
We learned to knit, crochet, sew, make garments, child's dress and slip, cooking, home making and how to make hospital corners on a bed.
We learned to knit mittens, gloves and socks. After I received my grade for my socks I wore them one day and low and behold I had a hole on the heel from my shoes. Decided never to make a pair of socks again. So, I have not made a pair to date.
I knitted my pair of gloves and a friend asked me to borrow mine so she can get a grade. No way, I told her.
As far as quilting is concerned I learned and am still learning through friends and classes. I joined a quilting guild in the Tx Valley. Happy to be on this site and learning from all of you.