Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pies mom
I learned to sew in Jr. High.....now they call it middle school. I made most of my clothes through out high school and did alterations for college classmates and dorm mates....gave me the extra spending money. Of course that was when the hem lines were going up! It seems to me that sewing and cooking classes aren't offered much any more in schools. I signed up for my first quilting class about 15 years ago and couldn't wait for the class to start so I had my friend help me do a log cabin Christmas tree wall hanging.
They do still teach home economics, but they call it all sorts of other things. And there are lots of boys in it, just as there are some girls in Voc Ag classes. It all depends on whether your school district is considered to be in an urban or rural area.

One of the big mistakes the politicians who are using education as a football made years ago was to curtail vocational educational courses in the mistaken belief that everyone should go to college. If everyone gets a college degree, they will be about as valuable as a high school diploma is now and you will have to have one to work at a car wash.

While I'm on my soap box, lots of people who are craftsmen--plumbers, electricians, computer repair people, etc.--command as much or more money in the market place than people with degrees. Probably the largest group of people in the country who have both bachelor's and master's degrees are teachers and they are not exactly getting rich on what they get paid.

If your child wants to become a diesel mechanic or go in auto body repair, think about encouraging him or her. froggyintexas
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM

the local Singer Sewing Store when I was 9 or 10
Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM

i was sewing when i was a teenager but learned the proper way to sew in home ec in high school. the teacher watched me pin ,cut out & sew a dressbut when i hemmed it she kept telling me i was sewing it backwords to take it out & do it again . i did .she still said it was wrong so she watched me di it & then she realized that i was left handed & was doing it the right way!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM

I started sewing when I was about 12. My mom alawys sewed all our cloths and it looked fun. Besides simple pillows my first real project was a pair of shorts. I knew quite a bit by the time I took home ec. In fact I hard learned a few short cuts that got me into trouble because I wasn't doing it the way the teacher was teaching. My junior and senior year I took classes called Textiles and Clothing 1 & 2. I made my prom dress in that class when I was a senior.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM

I did learn to sew in Home Ec., starting in 7th grade where my teacher knew I would never learn, partly because I had so much trouble with a thimble. Well -- I became a professor, wound up teaching all levels of sewing, writing about it, winning awards and loving it!

And I love this Board! Thank you for all you've taught me.

Sally
Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM

i learned in 9th grade Home ec.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 PM

I also learned for a 4-H group. Had a teacher that aggravated me to no end...was a stickler for accuracy. Wish I could thank her now. Looking back, she was a wonderful teacher. When I got into home ec. in high school, they made us sew a triangle kerchief. It was hilarious. I finished it on the first day. It was a several week project. OMG...that was over 40 years ago.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:05 PM

No, I started sewing about 5 and by the time I took my first home ec in jr. high I had been making skirts and blouses for 4 or 5 years.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 PM

I was forced to take Home Ec when they wouldn't allow me to take shop around 1965.

I didn't know how to sew and had to ask the teacher about every step for making a dress. When I was finished, the dress was sewn inside out. That convinced me that sewing wasn't for me.

I never did learn how to sew and follow a pattern. I started quilting two years ago, and only make my own designs. Patterns still baffle me.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Yes, it is still taught in many middle and high schools. It is now called Family and Consumer Sciences. However, in my county, the curriculum director took sewing out of the FACS curriculum because "it is not a life skill anymore, but is classified as a hobby." The course is geared more to nutrition, financial planning (consumer economics), food preparation skills, child development and parenting.