Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a quilter >

I am a quilter

I am a quilter

Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM

The same as you...but I must confess I have done it when put in a position I couldn't get out of. Oh well...next time, I'll "just say no"..... ;-)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 PM

I'm a seamstress and a quilter, I will hem pants for VERY good friends but have told them not to even discuss it with others because I do not want anything to do with alterations for people I barely know. It's not worth my time and effort. I don't even entertain the thought of doing alterations for a living. I like to choose what I work on and when I work on it. You handled it very well and I will take a page from your book if I ever need to!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM

I would have done the same thing. I don't even hem my husband's jeans. The only time I hem pants is when I make a pair for myself and I have to. I HATE HEMMING.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM

We quilt !!!. End of subject!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My answer: MENDING? Are you kidding me? I don't mend my own things - let alone anyone elses.
Amen!! After sewing for others to get spending money for college, I quit. I will make clothes for family (hopefully the kids don't get too big before I finish), but I do not do anything for others except my charity quilts. When I did mending, I charged a lot -- figuring if it was something I hated I should not be the only one to suffer.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
ns

I am sorry, I would have hemmed the pants. That is how i am.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM

ns I'm with you. I really want to say no but almost always end up doing it. Today someone, who we know but is not a close friend, asked me to taper a shirt for him. It's hanging on the back of my sewing chair now waiting for me. I wish I could say no - I don't have enought time to quilt as it is but I'm a push over. Enought said!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM

You remembered what we all say on here..
You stood by your guns and don't feel bad!!!!!
You are doing her a favor by teaching her...... She might have kids one day and need to know how to sew.........
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM

I have been turning my hubby down lately to repair stuff--I hate it any more--and he can do it if he really wants it. So no I don't do stuff for others like that either. Good answer.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 PM

I like how you handled her. I sew and quilt but I hate to do alterations. I do have one elderly man at church that I have replaced zippers (yuck) but I made him promise me he wouldn't tell anyone or I would stop helping him. He hasn't yet and it's been 3 yrs. & I do hems for a special friend (like a Mom)that's not able. If anyone says they have alterations for me I tell them I hate to do alterations & change the subject. If my DH is around he tells them to stand in line.