Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Someone please come over and slap me >

Someone please come over and slap me

Someone please come over and slap me

Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM

How are ya, have p.m.d you about your avatar which is so beautiful.. Is it a Nancy Smith "Storm"? If so, I'll be so happy to buy the patt. from you.
Don't know why you had problems with the binding after doing such a georgeous quilt.
Thanks for the response, nunnyJo
Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Honestly, sewing binding strips together isn't rocket science is it? So why did I just spend 3 hours sewing 5 ... FIVE simple strips together? That's only 4 seams!!

First one ... sewed in the opposite direct so when opened all I got was a V shape.

Resewed first one ... wonky. Rip.

Second one. Sewed it wonky, took it apart, and in the process flipped it around so that I had the seam on the right side of the fabric. Wouldn't have been so bad if I had noticed it BEFORE I trimmed it and sewed on the last strip.

Third seam ... I've managed to sew the tip of the other end of the strip under the seam!!!

So, what do you think I could have possibly done wrong with the last seam? What other rookie mistake could I have made? Anyone want to guess?

I'll give you one hint ... it's a batik so there is no right side of the fabric.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry you're having such a hard time with it.

I just sew some satin binding on a minke and flannel snuggle blankie. That was NOT FUN!!!!! Only for my grandchildren, it is not worth the frustration!!!
:x Boy have I been there! Only thing that saved my sanity was LOTS of silk pins and hand stitching the binding to the minky blanket. Ugh - worse than sewing on silk and more lint too.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM

That's o.k. When I was just learning to sew and made a jacket for my little girl, I was so proud of it until I put it on her. One sleeve went down; the other went straight up! I've laughed for 58 years over that one! Don't give up!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 AM

That's o.k. When I was just learning to sew and made a jacket for my little girl, I was so proud of it until I put it on her. One sleeve went down; the other went straight up! I've laughed for 58 years over that one! Don't give up! I kept sewing, and eventually made her wedding dress which a professional looked at and said, "You know you're talking $700 or $800, don't you?" And that was way back in about 1972!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Just this morning I sewed a bunch of binding strips together - leftovers from other quilts and pieces that I cut from scraps. Here's what I do - I pile the pieces up with the right sides of each end UP and facing the same direction. Then I cut the angle. I ALWAYS check the ends I'm going to sew together to make sure they are in line for a straight seam, then I flip the left hand piece OVER the right hand piece, leaving 1/4 inch at the top. I sew into the seam at the V at the top and sew out of the seam at the V in the bottom. Even if you are using batiks or fabrics with no right side, it will work every time. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM

I won't slap you, I will chuckle and send you a big ((((((((HUG)))))) We all have done it or will
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Honestly, sewing binding strips together isn't rocket science is it? So why did I just spend 3 hours sewing 5 ... FIVE simple strips together? That's only 4 seams!!

First one ... sewed in the opposite direct so when opened all I got was a V shape.

Resewed first one ... wonky. Rip.

Second one. Sewed it wonky, took it apart, and in the process flipped it around so that I had the seam on the right side of the fabric. Wouldn't have been so bad if I had noticed it BEFORE I trimmed it and sewed on the last strip.

Third seam ... I've managed to sew the tip of the other end of the strip under the seam!!!

So, what do you think I could have possibly done wrong with the last seam? What other rookie mistake could I have made? Anyone want to guess?

I'll give you one hint ... it's a batik so there is no right side of the fabric.
I don't live far away from you--when do you want the slap!???
:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM

I feel your pain! Some days it "seams" I just can't do anything right. It is a "Dahhhh" moment.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm only admitting this because it's been about 30 years since it happened:
I wanted to make myself a pair of SIMPLE pants w/a zipper after having my first baby. A friend insisted that I use her Vogue pattern because it was so easy for her. After suffering through the complicated guide sheet, I thought the pants were ready to be hemmed. I held them up and, low and behold, the crotch seams were pointed outward instead of inward. I started crying and my mom fixed them for me. I'm still not sure how that happened.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

hint hint....rest and have a glass of wine and come back to it relaxed :D