Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new - good iron - any recommendations? >

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Black and Decker. Its got good weight, actually gets hot enough, auto shut off and I love it
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM

I have a shark, it's a good iron, it does have automatic shut off, but, shuts down gradually...on the left side shows glowing light to show which different types of fabric. You can just shake it and will warm back up to desired level
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by Just-Lee
I have 2 cheap irons, both at least 10-15 yrs. old...still work great and only use distilled water!
why use distilled water? I'm seeing this on several posts but don't understand the difference if the iron doesn't specify to use it. Thanks!
You have to read your iron's instructions. My iron specifically said not to use distilled water--it said to use spring water without minerals. Some irons do say to use distilled water--just read the instructions and you should be fine ;)
Most Rowenta's say use TAP water...Well fine and good if your water is 'clean', ours has a lot of calcium in it so it does have a tendency to build up in the cavity. So I contacted Rowenta and they said to use the Spring water you can buy in jugs at the store, so far no problem...AND, I use it in my new Oliso too...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Buy cheap and replace when needed.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM

this is what i use, i love them. they become very hot and never turn off. irons made i think after the 1970's are not as hot because of safety reason. they go any where from 10.00 to 70.00, some have steam and some don't
you can find them on ebay, esty, estate sales, garage sales

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-General-...?pt=LH_Default
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-250077.jpe
Views:	66
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	250083  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM

I have an Oreck that my husband purchased for me. The feature I like best is that the cord can be detached. So if I am ironing/pressing fabric I can attack it from any direction without getting tangled in the power cord. When the cord is removed, the iron must be placed in its cradle periodically to be reheated. So when I am ironing lots of fabric for a long period of time, I usually plug it in, but I sure like not having to deal with the cord most of the time.

Not sure what Oreck costs, buts it's pricey. There may be other good cordless irons out there, but I quit looking after the Oreck.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM

I also have the Oliso smart iron. It is absolutely wonderful. I bought it the first of feb. and I use it everyday. No leaks good steam good spray, I highly recommend it!! I have Rowenta, Black and Decker,Bernina,Shark,Sunbeam, all in the dead iron area of my closet. Oliso is the only iron for me now!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 PM

I have had a Rowenta {Professional Press} for several years. It has lasted longer than my cheaper irons and doesn't have an auto shut off.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by hoppa
Interesting reading this thread as need a new iron
I have the Reliable to and can't say enough good things about it. I have had mine about 4 or 5 years. They have even improved them over mine. I love the filters and not having to use distilled water. We have a water softner because our water is so hard and so a filter last me a couple years. Love the two levels of steam to choose from. I love their iorning board to that you add the extension onto it to make a large rectangle. Great for iorning fabric. I have a pattern to make one but DH just never seemed to get to it so it cost him a new irorn and board. LOL I had a Rowenta but it leaked.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM

I have a Black and Decker I got at Walmart about 8 years ago and works like a charm. I use lots of steam and have never had a spitting or leaking problem. Was less than $20.