Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry.... >

I could cry....

I could cry....

Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by J.M.
Last december I bought background fabric for a quilt, I needed 11 meters but they only had 7 on roll - but they could order it, they said. All right, I bought the 7 meters, but it is now august and they still have no idea when the rest of my fabric is going to be in. So I found another store - a webshop I had ordered from before - that had the same fabric. Everything matched, number, line, brand, even the picture. But now I've got it and although it is the same fabric, the color difference is BIG. I have no idea why, different color bath, maybe the fabric from the store was out in the light too long, I don't know. But there is no way I can use both of them in my quilt. *cries*

Luckily I haven't started my quilt yet (I was smart enough to wait until I had all my fabric), but now I have a dilemma. I need to start searching for a good background fabric again (difficult enought the first time) and I need 11 meters of it (almost impossible to do, even though it need not be one piece); or I could use the 7 meters I have and find another fabric that looks nice with it and use that for all the sashing. The last one seems like a good option but I don't know if the 7 meters will be enough for all the blocks (they say about 7 1/2 yards for this quilt, which means I might just have enough - or I might just be a bit short, probably the latter), and it would change how I want the quilt to look. But after almost a year, I am dispairing of actually finding 11 meters of fabric...
I would probably use the 4 yards I just got and order 7 more from the same company.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:44 PM

You can always piece the backgrounds for a whole new look if you are using it for applique on top. Just saw the pattern and it is pieced. How does t6he back of your fabric look? Sometimes you can use the backside instead of the front.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 PM

You could use the new one for the binding piece.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Okay, I typed end parentheses, not emoticons. Regardless, I have several pattern designers who have me edit their patterns for language, content, and math.

The way to figure out exactly how much fabric you have and what you need from the background fabric is to first list all the pieces you will need to cut from the background fabric by size and number.

For example, if you need 22 (4-1/2") squares and 33 (2-1/2") squares. Then draw up a cutting diagram - You can get 8 (4-1/2") squares from one strip 4-1/2" x WOF. Therefore, you need three 4-1/2" x WOF strips for these blocks and will have a piece 9" x 4-1/2" leftover. You can get 16 (2-1/2") squares from a 2-1/2" x WOF strip. You can get 32 from two strips and one from the 9 x 4-1/2 leftover.

If you want to use both fabrics, it would be fairly simple. You would need to figure out the placement of the fabrics in each block. I personally would use the lighter background fabric for the center of the blocks and the darker background for the outer section of the blocks. Would really have to see the blocks to decide. The lighter fabric in the center would make the center stand out more.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by onthelake
I think I would use the original 7 meter purchase and find another fabric that looks great with it instead of buying all new fabric.
This sounds great :)
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 AM

I am sorry the fabric you ordered didn't match the fabric you have, but often when you have to change your plans for a quilt, you will like the end result even better than the original design. I hope that is the case for you. Good luck, and I hope you will show us your beautiful quilt when it is finished.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM

I have been where you are but usually I deserved it...I tend to buy small amounts of fabric. BUT...often being forced to be creative will end in a much more original and beautiful quilt. Good luck...think in new ways...it will be wonderful!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
Why don't you mix the two shades of color throughout the block backgrounds so it looks intentional?
I agree with Quiltbeagle OR use all of one shade for the central section and the other shade around the outside. The two shades should add depth and interest to the design.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:37 PM

We in the US sometimes forget how lucky we are to have the stores we do even if we hate the new prices.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Are you able to order more of the 2nd fabric? Did I miss something here?