Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for advertising/running a garage sale >

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Every yard sale I have every had there are people who want to get in early...especially if there are jewelry items or antiques. Put out a nice big sign saying NO EARLY BIRDS!!! If they are rude enough to ring your bell, or come on your property regardless, tell them that violators will be BANNED from the sale. If you run an ad, put that in the ad. NO EARLY BIRDS!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 PM

My daughter and have held an annual garage sale for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day for the past 5 years and have made some really good money. Here are a few suggestions that have worked for us, but be prepared to make adjustments for fit your area, laws, etc.

1) Put the info in all local papers and check to see if they have a Community Page that lists all upcoming charity or special events. Listing is usually free as long as it's written up like a press release. One year, we sent out a press release and a reporter showed up the first day and when the article appeared in the paper the next day, we were really busy. Don't forget to send the release to radio stations also.

2) Be sure to list specialty items such as fabrics, furniture, baby items, antiques, etc.

3) If you have clothing, have it organized by size. We've found that this is especially important with childrens' clothing. Try to hang up as much as possible and be prepared to reorganize throughout the day.

4) We've been very successful selling water, soda and candy.

5) We always have a raffle of some sort that is only for people who purchase something at the sale. Usually I make a lap quilt or wallhanging. Doing this encourages you to talk to the customer about the cause and make some extra money, of course. (Check your local laws about raffles.)

6) Have a set "bottom line" set in your mind before the sale starts and make it across the board. For example: Decide that you will only negotiate 15 - 20% lower than the priced item. If the customer balks at this, gently remind them that this is a fundraiser.

7) Have everything priced! It doesn't matter how many signs you put up saying that all books are 50 cents. The customer won't see it and they'll ask.

8) Be sure to have signs up around the sale area stating that this is a fundraiser. We also ALWAYS have a donation jar near the check out area and if someone's total comes to say $10.50 and they hand us $11, we ask if they'd like to donate the change. (It doesn't always work, but you'd be surprised how often it does.)

9) Have enough helpers. People don't like waiting in line to pay for an item that will only cost $1. They really do watch how efficiently you run the sale.

10) Have plenty of bags, boxes, paper, etc. to pack up items that are purchased.

11) Finally, no matter how slowly the sale is going or how bad the weather is, remember to smile and have fun!

Good Luck!!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Keep the money ON YOU. I say it again, keep the money on you. You absolutely need someone to help you. You may have someone ask to use the rest room, if you allow them, someone needs to go with them and wait at the bathroom door.
Around here you get about 10% of what you orginally paid for the item. I usually mark it a little higher, so that I can come down a little.
If you have some proof that it is for MD, show the proof. Some people falsely say garage sales are for a charity, and they are not. You will get more money if they actually know it is for a charity.
I like to do garage sales, and we usually make a good deal of money. Have fun.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 PM

I think I am going to keep the house locked up and refuse the use of the bathroom. I will come up with a viable excuse for that.

I have PPMD (parent project muscular dystrophy) brochures and bracelets to hand out

Neighbors are going to help me and I plan to keep the $$ on me. The advice about $75 in singles is great. (i wondered how much change to have on me)

It is a one day yard sale and I am going to price things to sell. I usually donate items to Purple Heart so any money I make for PPMD will be great.

I just wanted everyone to know that I read and then reread all of the advice, took notes and plan to follow ALL of the advice. This has been so incredibly helpful.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM

When our quilt club has sales, we don't price anything. People seem to be willing to pay more when they know it is going to charity. Good luck with your sale!!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

try to watch people going over your items for sale. there are idiots out there that will actually steal from garage sales. duh!!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 PM

As far as advertising goes I always make sure that there are signs readable from all directions at all major intersections around where you live and also at the half mile intersections also. Also make your signs distinctive from other signs that might be up in your area. You will get a lot of people who what something for nothing almost. If someone makes me an offer on something I will counter offer. I also will not take the first low ball offers just to make a sale. I will keep trying to get the most I can as usually more than one person will have an interest in the same item. You could also offer to take their name and call them if the item is still available when your sale is over. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

If early birds must come around, tell them the items are available for TRIPLE the marked price!

If they have gathered any items together waiting for the official opening time, it will still count as "early birding"
Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM

A lot of folks around here will low ball you on pricing saying "it's a yard sale". You will need to decide if you want to sell things for low prices and get rid of them or if you don't care if you've got them left over. You might do better with a charity sale, I've never run one, but for all the sales I've run, even with nice antiques people will not pay big prices.

I hope this isn't true for you and that you do well. If you can do brownies as well as the drinks, that's always a big seller.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM

About pricing: when the first people come and ask for the item cheaper. Say no, not at this time, it's too early. (They are the scavengers mentioned earlier). Later in the day, when it slows down, start grouping stuff to make it a better deal, and to get rid of it. Never sell anything for less than your heart tells you to, you will regret it (i.e. three large hand-made, by me, bags, yes 3/$5)
If you have more than one of something, put out the crumbier/chipped one first. When it sells, pull out the second one. After all the pricing is done, and everything is one display, Have FUN!!
Good luck