Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new - good iron - any recommendations? >

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by Just-Lee
I have 2 cheap irons, both at least 10-15 yrs. old...still work great and only use distilled water!
why use distilled water? I'm seeing this on several posts but don't understand the difference if the iron doesn't specify to use it. Thanks!
My T-Fal specified, "Not to use distilled water."
Old 09-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Today in the Vermont County Store catalog I saw a dry iron. It doesn't use water and it has a flat heating surface so it won't leave a steam pattern on your quilt. I was thinking about giving it a try.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM

A $120 iron for $28!!!!! You are GOOD! How did you do it?

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I usually buy my irons at the big box stores, not paying more than $20 for them. I iron just about everyday if not for quilting then for clothing. I just happend upon a great sale at Hancocks about a month ago and got the $120 Rowenta with all discounts I only paid $28 dollars for it! It is taking some time to get used to it because it is heavier than the cheaper ones but I absolutely love how my finished products look whether it is a cotton shirt or a piece of fabric. I WOULD NOT have paid $120 for it though, just happened to be at the right place at the right time!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 PM

I have an Oliso I love, but I admit, the first one I received when I ordered it, did not work. They replaced it for free. Love how it works, great steam and heat!
Also, I have a travel size Rowenta for classes, I mean it is the best steam and hottest travel iron I have even owned!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 PM

I'd like to find an iron that could iron out creases as well as it irons them in!
I have a Reliable brand iron that I like a lot. It has a separate heating element for both the sole plate and the steam, so I can have steam at any temperature. It also has a shut-off button that will keep the iron from turning off after a few minutes if it isn't being used.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I have a rowenta that is 19 years old and works like the day I bought it. I use regular tap water. I use it all the time and love it.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 AM

I think it is very hard to find one that will last today. My first iron was purchased through my Home Ec. teacher when I was a senior in HS. It actually still works but does not steam well (I'm 55 now1) and am on my third one since. I bought the best Rowenta as my 2nd purchase & it only lasted 4 or 5 years. Currently I have a Panasonic that I paid like $25 online and love it. It is only about 1 yr old but one reason I purchased this model is that is steams vertically as well as in the horizontal position. It is so frustrating that all new appliances (small and large) just don't seem to last. Same deal with washers-1st one lasted over 20 yrs.; I had one that only made 3!!!! This one is a front loader-hope it LASTS!! Anyway, my iron model is: NI-S650TR. It does have a auto shut off though but does heat up VERY quickly.

Originally Posted by WQRanch
I seem to have gone thru so many good, bad, almost okay irons in my lifetime. Any recommendations on a good iron for quilting projects? I like good steam and perhaps one that does not have a shut off - or one you can extend the shut off time on. And one that will last longer than 12 months.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:34 PM

I love my old Black & Decker that is at least 15 years old. I look for the cheapest one with the non stick bottom.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Challys
I recently bought a Sunbeam at Target I believe. I have had trouble too but remembered my very first iron 40+ yrs ago was a Sunbeam. This one does have the auto turn off but other than that has been fine so far. As I recall it was inthe $20 range.
I just replaced my Sunbeam iron today. All of a sudden it
decided not to heat. I had only had it six weeks. Like it,
so I replaced it with one exactly like I had. I hope it was
just some crazy thing with the old one.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM

My Proctor Silex iron is 45 years old and still steams as great as it did the first day I owned it. It doesn't look very good, paints worn off, had to glue a new finger stop on the setting dial. My mother in law was a seamstress for over 70 years, when I married her son nearly 50 years ago, her best piece of advice was, never put anything but distilled water in an iron.

Of course the new irons say 'do not use distilled water.' Because if you did, you wouldn't be buying a new iron every couple of years. Distilled water is water that has been purified from all impurities, you know the stuff that causes lime to build up, etc. In some areas, tap water can be very hard and have lots of impurities. It's water, with no chlorine, limes, floride, sulphur, iron, etc. You can even drink it and cook with it.

I use my iron practically every day, since sewing is one of my very favorite pastimes. When this one goes, I'll buy another inexpensive, heavy, steam iron.....and always use distilled water.

About 15 years ago, a friend of mine purchased one of those expensive 'do not use distilled water' irons, in 18 months it was a goner (so was the warranty). She loved the iron. So she bought the exact same iron, and has only used distilled water, it's going on 14 years old now. Has never given her a 'spit' of worry.

So I have no hints as to name brand, any brand will probably work, with distilled water. I don't think they even make Proctor Silex anymore, I think it cost $5 back in the dark ages when I bought it. :-)