Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can you tell....... >

How can you tell.......

How can you tell.......

Old 08-31-2011, 04:48 PM

The popping sound is my cue to change it also. I don't go by how many hours sewn with them because some projects give the needle more of a workout, like paper piecing or making baskets for example. If I happen to bend one I change it right away.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace
How can you tell when it's time to replace a needle?
When it bends or breaks.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM

I only change mine when I hear the popping or it breaks.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I talked to a professional seamstress here and she does not change after each project. If it drags or pulls on fabric or breaks then she changes. I do not change my needle as often as I have seen others do here and have had no problems. Personal choice I think.

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace
How can you tell when it's time to replace a needle?
I agree. I have two industrial machines and have to special order needles. Thankfully they just seem to go and go!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM

I change my needle depending on the project I am doing and which sewing machine I am using.
My Viking Rose will NOT sew-- skips stitches, bundles the bobbin thread, etc- if the needle does not match the thread and the application. I could try to sew but it won't be fun.
My Pfaff is about the same. When I get tension difficulties, I change a needle, and usually that helps.
My vintage Singer can be stitching along for days. she seems to like certain needles.:)
Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I change mine when the needle makes a little pop as it sews(like someone already mentioned) if I haven't broken or bent it first. If it is just dull, I save it for sewing on my treadle. My treadle doesn't really care how old the needle is. As long as it can get through the fabric, it will sew.
I'd never thought about this before, but isn't it strange how so much to do with sewing machines has changed in design, style, and function along with other things, but needles are still the same as they were in the days of the treadle machine?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 PM

My needle sounds like it is popping through the fabric.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 AM

ok folks, here is a funny story. I think it is anyway. I was new to quilting about 4 years ago and I started out sewing on quilts for the church quilting group. One year I sewed 186 quilts. No joke using the same needle. When I heard that I should have been changing the needle between each quilt, I darn near died laughing. 186. That was sewing the squares together for bed sized quilts. LOL I'm still in awe at my lack of knowledge back then. LOL
Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 AM

I change mine for every project, usually; sewing machine dealer recommended changing after every 8 hours of sewing. I figure I'm pretty close.
Also, when a needle is getting dull, the machine sounds a lot more like thunk, thunk, thunk, than when a needle is new.