Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 AM

We are our own worst critics. I used to stress over minor issues with projects. When I started classes at my LQS I was so uptight, " oh I got to be perfect". My wonderful teacher would say , " it's a creative oppurtunity , no one else will know, but you". She is right. I have also noticed that the more classes I take the more I see that I really do know what I'm doing for my level. In the beginning it's abit of a struggle to get the confidence to cut into a big piece of beautiful fabric. Are there particular skills that you are struggling with? If so ask here ! This board has help me so much. Thank you board! Although I spend wayyyy to much time on here. : )
Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 AM
j

I LOVE whoops to do crafts but I am not a finisher and that disturbs me, as hard as I try. - J
Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 AM

Don't give up! I've been there. I take a photo of every finished project, write down what I think are mistakes, what I really felt I did well, and comments of others who see it. It's helped me grow. I will never complete projects of the quality of some on this board so I admire, enjoy their talents, and continue to grow at my own level. You will also.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM

You know it sounds as though your being way too hard on yourself. Don't compare yourself to others your you and no one else is like you!! Remember sometimes it's not the product it's the process.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM

You are being way too hard on yourself! I bet if you took our your very first project and placed it next to your latest one, you would see a definite improvement. Quilting is a journey and we all have separate paths - just like life!! Enjoy the good times (accomplishments) and learn from your mistakes! :)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 AM

This is what I tell many others as well as myself: my great grandmother was an over achiever. She pulled the plow when her family didn't have a mule or work horse. She was the oldest of 8 and knew nothing but hard work; in which she excelled. She made many beautiful quilts; I am the proud owner of 3 of them. I have looked CLOSELY at those quilts on different occasions. Not all of her seams matched.
No one is perfect. Not even my great grandmother...
Have fun and be proud of your work.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:26 AM

I have found that sometimes when I finish a quilt, and look at it, I see all the faults...very critical on myself. But I put it away and go back in a month or two and pull it out and it looks beautiful to me. I don't see all of the boo-boo's and can't tell if my points don't line up as I'm looking at it as an overall quilt not the details. This has worked for me for years.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 AM

I agree with do what you love and enjoy the end result. Quilting is a passion to bring joy to you and the lucky recipient of your gift.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:29 AM

I would take some classes and join a guild. Find a quilting buddy who is slightly better than you are to learn with. Then realize your level of ability and work in it until you are an "expert" at that level. We all admire and want to do beautiful projects but sometimes now is just not the right time because we arent ready.

Not many people are truly expert quilters.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 AM

I love to quilt. The process relaxes me at the end of the day or week and stimulates my mind as well to the artsy side and away from my working analytical mind. I think every quilt I make could be better, lots better.

My first quilt class, taken with my mom in the mid 70's, was taught by a "famous" quilt maker and author. She was a nasty bit of work. Throughout the whole class course she made us all feel like inept creators. She obviously did the class for the money, certainly not for the love of teaching others. Her biting words will always remain with me no matter what I do, but I did have to make a decision to quilt for me first and others second, and, every quilt I have ever made has been oohed and awed over, most of the time to my amazement. When I see quilts I made years ago, still lovingly being used by family or friends, I am truly surprised at what a good job I did!

So what I am trying to say in a long winded method is to quilt to your hearts content for whatever reason. Your creations will always be appreciated and loved. It so delights me to see a well used quilt I made in someone's home. I am right now looking at a quilt I made for my husband the first year we dated, back in 1999....it is worn, and not my personal color choices, but everytime I suggest it go in the closet and another quilt come out he snatches it back and puts it in it's place on the back of one of our living room chairs. I have stopped seeing the mistakes I made in it a long time ago.