Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Fiesta de San Marcos... what is it? >

Fiesta de San Marcos... what is it?

Fiesta de San Marcos... what is it?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
MTS
Banned

ooooooh, right up my alley.
That's a fabric I could OBW and love. ;)

equilter should be getting that in - it's also right up THEIR alley.
Maybe on this Saturday's new fabric list......
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM

The Fiesta de San Marcos is usually held for a month beginning at the latter part of April and it commemorates San Marcos.

The Dia de los Muertos or celebration for day of the dead as you refer, is generally held on October 30.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM

I can't believe it!!! I looked for a fabric like that to put in a turning twenty quilt I was doing for my daughter -- just as a funny surprise -- but couldn't find one I like or that would "fit" in. Ha! as if it would fit in with the neutrals and homespuns I was using! (I used a fish skeleton print as the surprise.) You'd have to know her -- a high school librarian with tatoos and body piercings -- not a real girlie girl, obviously. lol

Don't need it now, tho, cause the top is done, and I'm almost through hand quilting it.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Day of the Dead celebrates ancestors that have passed. The Hispanic Cultural Center in Albuquerque has great info on it and does a superb job providing information if you are interested!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM

Alexander Henry does some "dark" themes sometimes. I think that all of his designs are different and eclectic and I am drawn to them. He has a lot of fun ones and I love the pin-up prints that he does!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM

It's called El Dia de los muertos, Day of the Dead. It celebrates the dead ansestors in the Hispanic culture.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 PM

La Fiesta de San Marcos is held annually in Aguascalientes, Mexico. It lasts for an entire month and is very famous. Dia de los Muertos is a pre-Columbian celebration that has been going on for thousands of years. It is considered a time to reconnect with family, here and departed. Altars are in home with pictures of family, food, flowers. It honors and remembers ancestors. Yes, families picnic in the cemetery and share stories. I always remember my Mom and she's been gone 25 years, her pictures comes out and I tell the granddaughters about her. One of my favorite holidays.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Luci in California
La Fiesta de San Marcos is held annually in Aguascalientes, Mexico. It lasts for an entire month and is very famous. Dia de los Muertos is a pre-Columbian celebration that has been going on for thousands of years. It is considered a time to reconnect with family, here and departed. Altars are in home with pictures of family, food, flowers. It honors and remembers ancestors. Yes, families picnic in the cemetery and share stories. I always remember my Mom and she's been gone 25 years, her pictures comes out and I tell the granddaughters about her. One of my favorite holidays.
Very will said Luci, your's has been the best description of this holiday celebrated now by not only the Hispanic/Mexicano culture, but by other cultures as well
Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Thank you for explaining. I was trying but not doing a very good job. I wanted people to know that this wasn't something dark or evil, or spooks go bump in the night like halloween, but a time of great reverence for those who had passed on. When I lived in the Phoneix area I got to witness several Day of the Dead celebrations. It's not a sad time, it is very festive.Children are told stories of gggrandfather and how he brought the family from a little tiny town to the city. Or how gggrandmother raised her brothers and sister because he parents had to work the fields. Or uncle so-n-so was a hero in the war.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks. Every year, the Oakland Museum has an exhibit with "ofrendas", altars and I try to make it. Last year, I was surprised to see an ofrenda for the mother of someone who went to school with my daughter. The entire school had put so much thought and effort into it. It was very touching and a wonderful tribute to a fine woman. There is also a very large Dia de los Muertos street fair the last Sunday in October in Oakland. Local artists vie to put up an ofrenda and there are often more than 50. For veterans, children, mom's, local heros, 9/11, it is very vibrant and interesting, humorous, sad and totally fabulous.