Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vodka vs. Starch ? >

Vodka vs. Starch ?

Vodka vs. Starch ?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Originally Posted by Deb watkins
vodka and cranberry with a splash of lime. starch and cranberry....not so good.
LOL
I dunno- I love cranberries & sweet potatoes. They're a starch! ;-)
Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 AM

The formula is 1 Cup Distilled water (must be this) to 1oz of Vodka - cheapest you can buy. Another big advantage is that it doesn't flake.
If those seams don't line up....drink up and you won't be stressing out as much :)!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 AM

In another post it was suggested to purchase the least expensive Vodka. Three oz of vodka to 24 oz of water. Sizing can be found at the $ stores. Not always in stock but I have found a can or two.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Never used starch. Mix vodka, distilled water and 4-5 drops of essential oil (I use lavendar). Mix only enough for a small spritzer, 1 1/2 - 2 cups. This puts just enough crisp into the fabric for cutting and assembly. I don't drink so the thought didn't occur to me but it sure makes a great difference in piecing. Also a side note, I do wash all of my fabric and line dry, hand pressing when I fold for storage. I don't spritz and iron until ready to cut. Doesn't flake or leave any residue on the iron or ironing board either. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 AM

I think the starch attracks bugs -- the Vodka doesn't.

I use the cheap Vodka for the starch and the good Vodka for me. Did someone say Bloody Marys?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 AM

The last time I had to iron my husbands shirts was after I had come home from a long day and he handed me a vodka drink with cranberry juice ginger ale and lime(we call it a mindy cooler) and asked with his most polite voice and sheepish grin if I had the time to iron his shirts. Afterwards I told him the vodka made it easier to iron as I didn't see as many wrinkles as I usually did when ironing so yes my vote is for the vodka. Since then I know what he wants when he fixes me a mindy cooler what he is really after is no longer found in the bedroom but in the laundry room (I hope this last part did not offend anyone just a sign that I am getting older) ROFLOL!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Yes I use vodka. And sometimes I even spritz it on the fabric!! :lol:
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewtruterry
The last time I had to iron my husbands shirts was after I had come home from a long day and he handed me a vodka drink with cranberry juice ginger ale and lime(we call it a mindy cooler) and asked with his most polite voice and sheepish grin if I had the time to iron his shirts. Afterwards I told him the vodka made it easier to iron as I didn't see as many wrinkles as I usually did when ironing so yes my vote is for the vodka. Since then I know what he wants when he fixes me a mindy cooler what he is really after is no longer found in the bedroom but in the laundry room (I hope this last part did not offend anyone just a sign that I am getting older) ROFLOL!!!
Nope, it's a sign HE is getting older.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 AM

I read that the wardrobe people who handle the costumes for plays use vodka to "refresh" them (get the smell out of them)because there is no time to send them to the cleaners between shows, not to mention what the dry cleaning bills would be. When I read that, I thought, hmmmmm. I own exactly one thing that I have been hesitant to send off to the dry cleaners....a leather coat with knit sleeves that I picked up in St. Louis. I live in Florida. Guess how much wear it got, lol. I was only there a couple of cold months, but really. I think I will buy one of those minatures of vodka and try it. Didn't know you could press with it, too.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Aurora said

I think the starch attracks bugs -- the Vodka doesn't.

I use the cheap Vodka for the starch and the good Vodka for me. Did someone say Bloody Marys?

No no no no, Aurora, you MUST understand. Bloody Marys is what you get after you've mixed up the recipe and tried to cut with your rotary cutter after downing the vodka. You MUST keep the actions/reicpes in order!!!!