Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap batting out of control!! >

Scrap batting out of control!!

Scrap batting out of control!!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 AM

I love finding batting bits at the thrift shop and buy them. They are often in long strips which have been cut off the edges of a finished project. I use iron on interfacing which I cut with my rotary cutter a couple of inches wide and press them onto butted together edges of the batting. Cover first with pressing cloth or it will melt. I have made Quilt as you go blocks and made them into quilts also. When they are finished no one can tell if they were the same batting or not. I try to use similar thickness throughout the quilt.
Be careful of making pot holders from batting unless it is all cotton. Other batts melt easily and burns happen..trust me..I know from experience.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I spent 4 hours messing in my sewing room today! I had 2 full totes of scrap batting that was getting out of control! I tamed one tote. Pieced my scrap batting together and got enough batting for 8 charity baby quilts.

So how many tame their batting scraps or what do you do with them?
I piece them and then use them for whatever small project I am working on. Why would anyone limit pieced batting to use in "charity" quilts? My idea is that if I won't use it for my grandchildren, I won't use it for someone else's grandchildren--and I would and have and will use pieced batting for my grandchildren.

And I just had a thought--which with me is always dangerous--using pieced batting requires a whole lot more work for a "charity" quilt than buying a whole piece of batting to start with.

I guess what it boils down to is deciding whether your time and energy and the cost of utiliites and materials required to put the batting together is worth more than just taking the money out of your pocket to buy new batting, and that decision might change day-to-day and situation to situation. froggyintexas
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM

Right now I am using it on totes. I was so pleased to learn on here how to stitch odd pieces together. thanks again to all of you.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 AM

I haven't done anything with mine yet. They are stuffed in a drawer right now. I have peiced them in the past but haven't had time lately.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
I use Swifter sized pieces on my swifter. You can stretch pieces to fit. Saves money and is green too! I also use flannel sleeves from old shirts on the swifter.

Originally Posted by deedum
I spent 4 hours messing in my sewing room today! I had 2 full totes of scrap batting that was getting out of control! I tamed one tote. Pieced my scrap batting together and got enough batting for 8 charity baby quilts.

So how many tame their batting scraps or what do you do with them?
Oh! What a great idea!! I have cut some of my batting pieces into 5" strips to use in 6-hour quilts.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 AM

I just finished a rag quilt and used 4" and 8" squares of batting in it - - all from my scraps. Didn't matter that they were not all the same type, either. I've also used them in smaller projects - mug mats, pin cushions, small zippered bags, placemats. If the pieces are fairly large then I might try to piece two together to use in a lightly used/laundered item such as a wall hanging, table topper, etc. There is also a fairly new product on the market to fuse batting pieces together. Have not used it yet so don't know how good it is. Still have too many batting scraps though because I hate to throw any away.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 AM

I use the batting seam tape to piece the batting. It works great. It's easier that doing the zigzag.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Mine are stuffed into about 8 different large shopping bags and thrown into the garage. Oh, looking around I have one bag here in my sewing room on the floor cause it has not been tossed in the garage yet.

I have made some rag quilts and used them in coasters but I have TONS!!! I too am not so fond of piecing them for quilts.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM

I need to do the same. Have too many small pieces!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

I've been using them to make Belmer's microwave bowls.