Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up?!?!?!? >

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Should I just give up?!?!?!?

Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 PM

No do not give up! I would say to run it thru the wash and dryer to close up holes but I don't know if you prewashed or not. My walking foot and I spend alot of time together. I freeze up when I try to FM. I bet you could break a brick on my neck but I am determined to learn how to do it.
Robin in TX
Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Don't give up!!!!!!!!!! If i had a quarter for everytime Jack (my seam ripper) and i had to work together i would be Rich, Rich, Rich i say.......... I am still learning to FMQ and making hot pads out of all the practice squares i do. Will have quite a pile of hot pads when i am done..........lol
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Hi, I did the same mistake on my 3D cubes and can tell you it was heart breaking I even unpicked it and started again (with the same shocking result) so i decided to "keep practicing" and now Im using that quilt as a ironing board cover......great stuff...ha ha ha
Keep on practicing
Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM

THe beauty of making things for very little people is that they are not critical and they do not know any quilt police nor do they know how to call them. I bet he will love it no matter what. Move on and make the next one. no one will notice but you.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 PM

I picked up a quilt top at a flea market for $3.... going to do my practicing on that when I get around to it. Don't want to ruin one of mine!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM

When you rip the stitches pick every 5th-6th stitch on the top then pull the bobbin thread and you'll be happy to see quite a length of stitches pulled out. Get a lint roller to pick up stray threads. This helps make the ripping a bit easier.
Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM

You didn't say how old the grandson is. If he is young. Let it go to him. It is never as awful as we think. finish binding it an give it a gentle wash. It will be fine and none of us will notify the quilting police. Promise.
Robin
Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by CoolJulUtah
I am VERY new to this whole quilt thing and figured it is something I would love to do. My first quilt was a Yellow Brick Road lap quilt in patriotic colors and I LOVE it! I had it professionally quilted and it's awesome! I made a couple of others and they turned out great, too! So I'm a quilter, right??? Not so. I decided for my next quilt I'd make one for my grandson. I tried to do the meandering by myself. IT LOOKS AWFUL!!! There are no nice round corners and there is WAY too much in each block. I did so much meandering (if you could call it that) in the blocks that it would take FOREVER to unpick!!! I can't just have all my work on the quilt top go to waste though. Would you be able to tell if I unpicked it and started over? Would you be able to see all the holes the needle made? Sorry this is so long . . . I'm just at a loss at what to do! My heart is sad. :o(
don't give up. I totally dequilted a quilt using a mustache trimmer, it did take about 6 hours but it came out beautifully!!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 PM

So I decided after six hours of unpicking that I couldn't do any more! What I'm going to do instead is put a large applique of a frog that matches the material over the bad squares! I'm really excited about this idea because it will be sooooo much faster than unpicking the rest and it will give him a little "buddy" to play with when he's laying on his quilt! Thank you soooo much for all of your suggestions!!! I'll post pictures when it's all done! :o)
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 PM

By the way, the main fabric in his quilt looks like camo with happy frogs jumping all through it ("camo-frog" fabric)! I'll just copy the smiling face of one of the frogs and enlarge it to cover the squares! It's all made out of flannel so it'll be nice and soft for him to cuddle up with!