Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Pricing >

Machine Pricing

Machine Pricing

Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM

I totally agree. They may be afraid the price will make us back off, but I would prefer to know what I am looking at than get my hopes up and find out that there is no way I can afford it with the salesperson trying to push the sale.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Probably because the dealers don't want it known! Some dealers will mark up from MSRP from 10% to 40%!!!! I know car dealerships had that problem with me when I found out you could find out the MSRP of a car at the library (before computers). :) I haggled them till they were THRILLED to get rid of me!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM

I recently was shopping for a machine to replace my Pfaff 1973, went to my local dealer and was not happy with his answers about a new machine. I did look online for another dealer, and ended up driving 80 miles for a machine, but so much better customer service.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 PM

I agree with amandasgramma, having the dealer's cost going into a car dealer was/is one of the best ways to get a fair deal.

I wonder if some machines dealers get markdowns from the manufacturers based on sales? Sell more units, you get a discount. But there's no way to know if they turn the savings back to the cosumer, or just pocket the extra.

For me, I try to look at all the review sites I can that include what the reviewer paid.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM

I agree.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Totally agree...>!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM

I agree! It would be great to know if the price was out of range so I wouldn't waste anyone's time.

Mary
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I was put out when the Bernina dealer didn't have pricing on the machines. I had to ask. And still didn't get an up front answer. I got the What features are you looking for? and more questions and a push toward the fancier machine models. I just wanted to know the price of what I was looking at. I finally told the lady if she couldn't tell me the price of that machine (finger pointed to it) then I was walking out. She just looked at me so I walked out. I bought a new Janome that had the price written right on the tag.
My favorite Bernina dealer has the MSRPs and their prices posted :).
Old 09-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I have ALWAYS felt that sellers of sewing machines were as bad as used car salesman!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sheri
OK, since we haven't figured out the secret yet, this is what I am going to do, send an email to some of the shops I buy from and ask them for a price on a specific machine. See how that works
This won't get you exact pricing, but it will give you an idea. Here's a link to a site that lists actual owner reviews of machines (there are hundreds!!), along with the approximate price they paid. You have to sign up to see the older reviews, but that only requires an email address. It helped me quite a bit with the last two machines I bought.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/