Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Atlernative activity to camping needed >

Atlernative activity to camping needed

Atlernative activity to camping needed

Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
If you only get the bug once in awhile, renting an RV is an option. It is expensive, but much less expensive than owning if you only go a couple of times a year.
This is a great idea. I have been trying to talk my husband into selling our travel trailer and if he needs one to go hunting he can go rent one cheaper than letting ours sit and rot.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM

give me the cookie cutter hotel any day! No tents, RVs cabins - I just want a nice shower and bed with wifi, ice, and breakfast. Not that I dont like the outdoors or nature. When we travel I like all the museums, art galleries, off map sites and curiosities. I love parks, beaches, walking, hiking, biking, taking tons of pictures. We just find an outlying rm and travel all over an area, checking things out, come back tired, maybe swim, shower, check emails on laptops, sleep. (we've come across and wild hog festival, and a fire ant festival in our travels - fun)
Also, Im on vacation - that means no cooking, dishes, picking up after anyone. Hubs gets that now.
when finding a rm never pay what they give you as a price at the desk, always plan where you'll end up. If you roll in late you can usually get a lower price since most places want to sell rms out. Be prepared to go to the next place if you don't like the rate. 2 yrs ago we went to FL and got a place for a week on the gulf, on the beach, a 3 rm full kitchen place, which was way more than we needed, but we'd gone down the row of hotel/motels and hubs was not going to pay the prices they were asking and the third place he stopped was this efficency and they had no one and we got it for 65$ a nite. (I cooked in this place -lol). They even had a bbq on the deck, so hubs qed. We ended up vacation in Key West on the edge of town and biked all over the island, it was a great time. sharet
Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM

we are selling our house ..moving into RV taking sewing mach..material etc...I can quilt when not sight seeing
can't wait...
Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 PM

who slept in that bed last? and is there anyone still in there with you? A lady reported recently they stayed in 5 star hotels only....after they got home from .vacation..they got another vacation while having bedbugs exterminated from home...give me my RV..
Old 09-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Go tenting --- that'll make him change his mind!!! Oh - he doesn't want to camp at all???? bummer

We, too, have a 21 foot fifth wheel and absolutely love it!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM

About four years ago my daughter bought a new TT and we were going to buy her popup. So we went with them camping one weekend to see if we liked it (we camped with our kids many years ago) but we are older now. Well everything was fine until bedtime. That was the most miserable night I have ever spent. I finally got to sleep only to wake up with hives! Then of course I had to go potty to the bathhouse (didn't make it)! We had such a confused night that our neighbors pulled out some time during the early am!! I didn't care, I just wanted to go home, I was too old for that mess.

I do love camping during the daytime. If I camp again, it will be in an RV with bathroom...............can't talk DH into it.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Where do you want to go and what do you want to do when you get there? That would pretty well determine how you sleep and what you sleep in. Do you all like to fish? How about renting a houseboat? It's camping on the lake. Take a paddle boat down the Mississippi River= Bed and breakfast on the water - It seems to me you need to know what you want to do. I personally like to tent camp and just vegetate in a remote space with a book and maybe a fishing line far enough from other campers that I don't have to like their music and they don't have to like my dogs. Steaks and hamburgers over an open fire and go to bed after I tire of watching the stars. When we were younger that would have been after a day of hiking.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM

We have a pop up that we love. It is easy to set up and I keep most things in it except food and clothes. The down side is if it is raining when you get to camp. Then when we get home we have to pop it up and clean it and make sure it's dry before putting it away. We're getting older so have been thnking of selling the pop up and getting a trailer. With a trailer if it's raining when you get to camp at least you can get in the camper and worry later about setting up camp.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Camping out with the good earth under your bed is marvelous.
When you're young.

Now what I want under MY bed is a multi story 5 star hotel with food service delivery and a gift shop.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KimmieH
a nice resort hotel, with your own hot shower, and preferably a goose down duvet, room service & clean pool :)

just sayin...
:thumbup: