Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do not awe and oooh over quilts! >

Do not awe and oooh over quilts!

Do not awe and oooh over quilts!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Me too, all the time! How can you not when there is a work of art!!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:27 PM

For Goodness sake! I love in American we have freedom of speech. So go girs! The only time I stopped some ongoing yelling and loud sibling argueing was at a JoAnn store. We were (a lot of customers) letting it just get on our nerves. So I promptly got the two boys by their collars and said Where is your Mother or the person who brought you?? They quietly took me to their mother. I told her they were roughty and loud giving us headaches. Never heard another word for them. when I walked back to the fabric section I got a standing ovation! Clapping and smiles! So there are times....
Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 AM

I used to enjoy show-and-tell time. I sat in a guild meeting one day (well, several times with the same person) who would just very hurriedly and in a clipped voice say, "Ok, Ooh-ahh. Let's just move on." I got sick of that too.

For me, hearing someone just recite "ooh ahh" as words like a chant is condescending and derisive especially when that "tone of voice" is there too. I'd much rather hear nothing or an honest comment. For some, the "ooh aah" is just their way to get attention and take it away from the quilt/quilter. It becomes a mockery rather than a compliment.

The spontaneous express of an ooh or aah is almost a release of breath rather than words. To me, oohs and aahs are kind of like smiles, they come from the heart not from the word.

OK, off my soapbox now.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:53 AM

Much better then yuck or eww ughh,..:):)
Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
Much better then yuck or eww ughh,..:):)
The rolling of the eyes and the snarky voice didn't make it any different. The lady who was showing and telling turned red and slunk back to her chair.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 AM

For shame to all who would express falseness and negativity at the expense of another person's feelings. I can't imagine that anyone would be expressing oohhs and ahhhhhs over a quilt just to get attention, but I am not there so perhaps it is so. I am fairly new to the quilting world but not to the world of human feelings and manners. I am constantly amazed that grown people can still act like children at the expense of others.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM

I just did it over your quilt picture!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I'm wondering if you're not allowed to ooh and ahh because if there's someone who's quilt isn't oohed and ahhhed at, they get their feelings hurt. I've heard of this happening at guild meetings.
At my LQS classes, when we gets lots of quilts, we ooh and ahh and applaud every time. We're easy to please :)
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by gaevren
Well you said he said "ooh and ahhh" many times. How many times, exactly? Maybe it was nice the first couple times, but if he just kept at it without any break in the oohing and ahhhing I can see how it might be a little irksome. My kids do it too hehe, especially my five year old. She doesn't understand yet that something she does once may be cute, but after the 20th time she's done it within the space of 60 seconds, it went from cute to OMG-STOP-IT-NOW-annoying! :mrgreen: She just sees the initial reaction (how cute!) and wants to get that reaction again...and again...and again...lol!
I agree, that it could have just been the number of times. As a non-parent, I have low tolerance for children. And everyone I've talked to said they felt the same way until they had their own. So perhaps she's just in my group or just gets easily annoyed is all