Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Pricing >

Machine Pricing

Machine Pricing

Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i teach at a LQS that is a bernina dealer and the prices are always kept a secret.

the staff isn't even allowed to release that information over the phone if people call to obtain that information.

i found it so off putting that i have no interest in ever owning a bernina since this policy isn't shop specific its all of them - this is a global decision to deceive its customers.
"Global policy to deceive customers"? That's untrue and defammatory. Bernina prices in the UK and elsewhere are posted online. Check it out. I don't have any trouble getting prices over the phone if I explain that I'm not willing to make the drive without that info. Maybe it helps to be polite.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:09 AM

By the sound of this conversation I must be one of the most fortunate customers out there to have found my Husqvarna dealer (SewnSew of Waupaca and Appleton, Wisconsin). They have all of the MSRP and their own prices listed. I have heard them on the phone quoting prices. Sales people are knowlegeable and patient (thank the lord!) They will also have sales from time to time. Service is done right in their store and if the sales person can fix my problem on the spot I have not even ben charged for it. Along with the sale I get a shopping spree of one time 20% off and a discount of I think 10% as long as I own their machine. Along with that I get all the training I need for as long as it takes to learn my machine and any software I may purchase from them at no charge. I feel I got a good price on my machine. maybe not the cheapest but in the long run with all the freebies discounts and training I got a bargin at twice the price. They have been upfront and honest with me from the start. I have also found that although the price may seem steep, they don't make as much as you may think on their machines. If I didn't think that they were being honest with me I would have been out of there in a second but in the years I have owned many of their machines I do not have one complaint!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:09 AM

On Facebook yesterday a new Janome was shown with a price tag of between 11 and 12 THOUSAND dollars.....could that possibly be right. I almost had a stroke!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 AM

When discussing a position at what is a nice quilt shop that sells two brands of high end machines, in a conversation with the owner about teaching classes and so forth, the owner said as a reminder, "This is not a fabric shop, it is a machine shop". ( Interesting 'eh)
Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 AM

The dealer I do business with has all their prices on the machines in the store. I've asked for prices over the phone with no problems. I do know that, as has been mentioned, they have some restrictions from the manufacturers about posting prices on the internet. Also, some manufacturers offer warranties and some don't. I have one machine with a dealer warranty. I'm buying another one this week that comes with a manufacturer's warranty. Both are from the same dealer. I love my dealer. The service is great and they work so hard to make sure the customer is happy.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 AM

I think dealers don't like to quote prices on the phone because they know other stores will do the same. Once they get you in the shop and your hands on the machine, it's hard to walk out without one! I found the more I hesitate, the more items they offer as freebees....
Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 AM

The prices are so hard to find because the prices are so high sky, IMHO. When a home sewing machine costs upwards of $10,000 I believe that the dealers and manufacturers try very, very hard to keep that price out of sight until customers have salivated, fallen in love with and convinced themselves that they CANNOT live without the machine!!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 AM

I agree, I've been wanting to compare prices to. Barb
Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 AM

I guess we are fortunate--our shop posts the prices right on the machine-- both retail and what the sale price is. We have also had calls from customers asking prices and they are given over the phone. If it's a model we don't have on hand, we call our distributer to get one for our customers. It's shouldn't be a big secret. Sometimes the price can be adjusted a little to benefit the customer who can pay with cash or check instead of credit card since there will be no additional service charge from the credit card company.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by sheri
Why is the price of sewing machines such a secret? It kind of seems like buying a car, and I hate that hassle. I really don't want to drive hundreds of miles to check out every machine and I really don't want to haggle over the price. I did buy 2 machines on ebay and at least you can bid the max you have to spend. I love to look at all the new machines on the manufactures websites and on websites for shops that I purchase fabric and supplies from on the internet, if only they could satisfy my curiosity about the price.
I think the reason for the secrecy is because it is like a car in that there IS a lot of wiggle room on the price. I HATE, HATE HATE, to have to "deal". Just like with a car, I figure if you have to deal on the price and they let you buy it, you probably paid too much. Just tell me the price and I can decide to buy it or not!